Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your thoughts on Dogs and Mixing Species Together ..*

Adorable pics, jmiles 50 ..... :wink:

Thanks Angelrose! We're a little happy family, with 1 more on the way :!: :!: :!: :wink: I've got a hatchling coming from Varyard
    J.Miles
    0.1.0 Argentine B&W Tegu(Asami)
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu(Drexel)
    1.0.0 Rottweiler(Diamo)
    1.0.0 Boston Terrier(Chester)

so far i have heard of 2 cases where oh look my dog killed my reptile... why? cause the dog either wasnt trained... or just its not too bright
    0.1.0 Col. Tegu
    0.1.1 Arg. Tegu
    0.2.0 Leos
    0.0.1 Spotted Python
    0.0.1 Painted Turtle

IMO, mixing species is not a great idea even if the animal is ''trained'' to not attack other animals.

I do work into a reptile farm and they do mix species together. I have seen many box turtle with snakes. Some snakes (cornsnake) have cutted tail because some box turtle (who are generally inofensive) were curious and just wanted to ''taste it''.

Another mix : Adult nile monitor, savannah monitor and adult sulcata tortoise. I am pretty surprised that any of them had try to attack each other. But, I don't think it's a good idea to.

The worst mix a person can do, is mixing a reptile with a cat. Cat are generally very hypocrite, they will seems pretty ''cuddly'' or ''gently'' but once they have the 'chance' to attack, they will do it...and it's only for 'fun'.

Same thing with a dog. Many of them get to ''excited'' and wanted to play with other animals. Result: Some of them are killed for nothing.

So, the best thing would be to ALWAYS supervised the pets together. Even if they had never bit before. :!:
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

I would actually generally agree with Ben. All I can't account for are MY animals. My dogs and I did Search and Rescue for years, and they have been extensively trained on how to act around other animal's and people. It's not something I would suggest with just any dog! It takes time and training. I can leave my dogs alone with Asami and I do KNOW that they aren't gonna do anything. It's just because they've been trained to!

p.s. Just because and animal kills another doesn't mean "it's not too bright" :!: It means it's ACTING ON INSTINCT :!: Seems like some people just don't understand :!: Ignorance can be bliss
    J.Miles
    0.1.0 Argentine B&W Tegu(Asami)
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu(Drexel)
    1.0.0 Rottweiler(Diamo)
    1.0.0 Boston Terrier(Chester)

To be quite honest, I think it's illogical to make these sweeping generalizations. I know this is going to come across offensive, so I'll just apologize in advance, but c'mon....

All cats suck or all dogs suck or all reptiles are good is just ridiculous! We are dealing with animals that do not have the same rational capabilities that humans have. I guarantee you that I have a tegu or two that would most certainly eat one of my bearded dragons if given the chance. Cats and dogs are predatory animals who will most likely attack another animal if given the chance. It's instinctual. My red tegu caught a brown anole on my porch once. We saved it, but that was an instinctual move, too.

Mixing species of any kind is generally not a good idea because the world has a certain concept of FOOD CHAINS. Some living things eat other living things to survive. I have two cats and a dog. When my Burmese python is out, all other animals are put up, why take the chance? If something were to happen, it would be my responsibility, not the snake's. When the reptiles are out, the cats and dog are kept away.

As a pet owner, it is my job to keep my animals safe. However, accidents happen and I have had my share of them. I have learned a lot of things through trial and error and made plenty of mistakes through my 25 years of animal handling. I'm certainly not going to cast the first stone. :wink:
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I'm against it in most cases. I'm against it because in some cases, of course, not all, it is unethical. There are people that are mixing raptor species like peregrines together with gyrs, or merlins, or even kestrals on rare occasion. If these birds get loose it is possible for them to contaminate the wild populations.

When it comes to dogs, I don't stand for it either because each breed was specifically designed for a special purpose, and that is why they were bred. It's kind of like using a table knife as a screwdriver, sure it's going to work, but that wasn't what is was made for. Besides, I appreciate the distinct varieties, and they say variety is the spice of life. There are too many "mixed" dogs that all look like the little medium to small white terrier-ish dog. My mother has a "Silkapoo" or some such thing, and we get into little battles on occasion.

No, pure bloodlines preserved with wild animals the way Mother Nature intended. I suppose tegu hybrids aren't the worst thing because T.rufrusecens, and T. mereanea are so similiar. Of course I wouldn't want to waste space in my house on hybrids if I could help it because the reds are worth more as reds.

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl
    To be quite honest, I think it's illogical to make these sweeping generalizations. I know this is going to come across offensive, so I'll just apologize in advance, but c'mon....
    No need to apologize. Remember though that there are times where we must categorize our experience, and it is in that that generalizing becomes important. Of course we just have to make sure that our judgement is not faulty, or that we aren't make unfair generalizations.

It would be hard to say, all cats are x, or all dogs are y, unless we were being analytical, or tautological. For instance, all dogs, are dogs is self evidently true, and no one would dispute that. Another one would be to say that "All cats are predatory", well of course they are, as that is part of what makes them a cat.

We look to experience and other modes of knowledge though when we are making statements like, All cats are tall, or all dogs are small. We don't need experience to say that "All tegus are lizards, and all lizards are cold blooded, therefore tegus are cold blooded.

Now I'll apologize! LOL.. Cheers

I don't believe you should put your animal in danger by mixing the species. I think it's great if the animals do get along but I don't tempt fate.

Just recently my tegu got out while I wasn't home, he is deathly afraid of the labs [even when he just hears them barking] and he ended up losing his tail do to the whole incident. The dogs never attacked him but I'm sure if they could of got to him[they can't get to where he lives], they may have been curious and tried to figure out what he is and hurt him in the process.

I would be mad at myself and not the animals if anything would have happened to my tegu. I don't blame them, they have natural instincts. I don't believe in putting down an animal for that either.