Thread: Depressing...

Default Depressing...

I just went in Mr. Petman here in Volusia County, Florida. The place is HORRIBLE!

Issue #1. The Spur Thigh Tortoise. Tortoise is about three inches long, in a 10-15 gallon TERRARIUM, with a water dish too high for him to reach, and he's being fed entirely on LETTUCE.

Issue #2. I can't remember if this species of tortoise just has an odd shell shape, or if he is suffering from pyramiding. This tortoise is at least four-five inches long, also in a 10-15 gallon TERRARIUM.

Issue #3. The Argentine Black and White Tegu is about a foot long, in a 10-15 gallon terrarium, with SHAVINGS instead of cypress mulch, also being fed nothing but lettuce.

Issue #4. The two beared dragons, also in a 10-15 gallon terrarium, are being fed lettuce. I couldn't stand seeing the tegu and beardie looking through the glass like ''Help me! Help me! Save me from this prison of torture!''

Issue #5. The monkeys and lemur look angry, frightened, and just plain depressed.

This store should be put out of business. Oh yeah, did I mention the 25 cooters / sliders, each appearing to be an inch long, crammed in a 30 gallon tank, with REALLY loud music blasting in the aquarium section!?!

It is depressing...

All I can think of is to contact the FWC 1-800 line or Animal Control in the area. FWC has field officers that do exotic inspections for permitting (trust me :P).
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Not surprised of those torture.

As I see, boxturtle, you seems to be well informed with turtle/tortoise.

I am myself a huge fan of tortoise, and I have seen many of those problem in petstore.

1-Terrarium use as enclosure, worst thing ever.
    2-Fed only lettuce...of course in nature there is ONLY lettuce lol. The grass is only for decoration*.
    3-Lack of piece, not surprising in all petstore.

However, I somebody will be able to change this store.

Good luck!
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Pet stores can be pretty depressing places - I tend to stay out of the ones that I know are not good and buy my stuff from the one in our area I know treats their reptiles properly. Needed some stuff urgently the other day and went to my more local one and was greeted by the sight of tree frogs with no water, a very sick looking bearded dragon that obviously needed veterinary care and a dehydrated and pretty lifeless looking savannah monitor. Amongst the other things I pointed out that monitors like a hot basking spot (there was no light on at all except a UV!) If I'd had the room I'd have been sorely tempted to rescue it - but I know they'd only replace it with another one. One of my pet hates is shops selling large lizards.

Default Re: Depressing...

That is extremely depressing. I would definitely call and try to get them inspected or something. I hate some pet stores. They are extremely depressing, it makes me wish I had tons of money just to buy all the animals and save them. ha :(

Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    That is extremely depressing. I would definitely call and try to get them inspected or something. I hate some pet stores. They are extremely depressing, it makes me wish I had tons of money just to buy all the animals and save them. ha :(
    Only issue is they would keep restockin and making money off keepin the animals like that. You may be "rescuing" the animal,but your just putting another one in its place.

BoxTurtle52, I think it's more than depressing. Under these conditions I would take laurafl's advice; definitely.

Our member 'dpjm' gave some good advice also:
    " It's a tough choice in those situations. You definitely don't want to encourage the pet store, but on the other had, if you have a chance to make a difference like that in an animal's life, it's hard not to.

I think if you are considering buying an animal out of pity, first talk to the store owner and say, look you have this animal that will be dead in a few weeks under your care. Offer to buy it at a reduced price, the owner might go for it because the animal is worth nothing dead, but they might not be so inclined to stock another one given that the store didn't profit from the first ."

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonrazac
    Only issue is they would keep restockin and making money off keepin the animals like that. You may be "rescuing" the animal,but your just putting another one in its place.
    Yes - that's just it - savannah monitors are so cheap to import it just doesn't matter (financially) to the stores - they just replace them with more :( . Pleased to report though that since I mentioned to them the sav should be kept better I went in yesterday and it had its basking light on and was looking a lot more active.

That's good to hear...

In Fl, the FWC regulates cage sizes at the minimum. Lizards of certain length have to be kept in minimum cage sizes by law. They can be slapped with a fine which will make them think twice about it!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets