Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: columbian stays burried

Default columbian stays burried

hey i know i asked this befor but the thing is my coumbian tegu stays burried for 2 or three days should i unburry him to feed or just leave him alone

do you feed them outside the cage?? if so just leave alone and once they are active, feed away!!

Hi adam, even if you unburry him that doesn't mean he will eat. He will come out when he is hungry/thirsty. I put the mercury / heat ..etc on and off at the same time eveyday. I'll go in and give them clean water at the same time also and I lightly mist every morning. They seem to like that.

One of my colombians was eating alot and now she is sleeping for the past three days. My boy didn't bother getting up today after feasting on a rat yesterday.

I almost don't want to say this but if you can clear the enclosure in such a way that he won't ingest substrate than go ahead and place a small amount of food there in a bowl / paper towel / plate. I worry about them getting impacted tho'. I know with mine, they like to drag their food around.

yes i do feed in the tank he hasnt had a problem with impaction none of my reptiles have but i just worry that he is starving thats all

adam, tell me more about him. When is the last time he was up ? and for how long ? What's the longest amount of days he gets up for ? What did he eat ?

Do you have a recent pic ?

well hes 7 months he ate a rat pup and was up for a day or 2 but is usally dug under i wish i had a pic other than the ones in my album

Just like Angelrose said, there are no quick and fast rules here. I tend to 'unbury' my guys if they have been in too long. I just like to see them, and if dad wants to see you then tough. LOL. I usually get them up, and put them under their light, and that gets them going. Doesn't mean they are going to eat though.

I feel your woes, as a full time student and part time employee it gets hard to feed your colombian when he is on his sleeping binges. I usually wait untill Thor has went two or three days without surfacing then wake him (I know its not the best thing but I'd rather him huff at me for five minutes, then bathe, doo, eat, and spend some time basking on my arm, then him starve.) which he usually only gets huffy for around 2 to 3 minutes after being woke up, after wards he gets his bath with no huffing or struggle, he eats about all the food I give him, then he lays to next me (or my girlfriend, which ever one of us is taking care of him) on the bed with his lamp on us for about an hour or two before going back into his house where he usually basks for another hour or so, then conks out. (he usually goes through a three day sleep once every other week.)
    www.myspace.com/christcody

1.0.0 Colombian Tegu (Thor)
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Montee)

my tegu is still buried and i havent fed him in like seven months. i dug him up and posted pictures in the tegu housing section and he doesnt seem to be skinny. when should i dig him up to start feeding him.

I like to wake my animals up. They usually get up on their own, but then again, I try and keep them on a good schedule where they get a natural photoperiod. Lizards do a lot of sleeping though. Life is pretty basic for them.