Thread: does anyone else's tegu like to climb?

Default does anyone else's tegu like to climb?

i've heard that tegus don't like to climb but mine LOVES to climb. he tries to scale everything.... even me! he tried to climb up my leg by holding onto my shorts. he also jumps to get a hold of something and then uses his arms to climb up. man, they're strong!

btw, how do you change the name of your photo album? i clicked on the admin options and then highlighted "rename album" but everytime i rename it, my album still says "untitled?"

tristan

My Tegu LOVES to climb. When I go in her cage to clean her water bowl or spot clean she always start to walk on my hand and up my arm and go on my head. She will also jump on me trying to commit suicide. It's so cute. Maybe as they get older they start to lose interest in climbing, who knows.

Katie
    1.1 Veiled Chameleons
    1.1 Argentine Black & White Tegu
    0.0.1 Argentine Red Tegu
    2.3 Red Tail Boas
    4.6 Corn Snakes
    1.0 California King Snake
    1.0 Mexican Variable King Snake
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake
    1.8 Ball Python
    0.0.1 Green Tree Python

You really cant even predict what they will like. there seems to be no mold for tegu's because they have so much personality. my two are like night and day. they have nothing in common except for species lol. my female will just chill in her cage all day long. if i get her out to feed her she will eat and then walk right bake to the cage. but my male will stay out for days at a time if i let him. th other night i found him in my daughters closet inside a pair of cartharts. i guess he knows where the warm stuff is lol.

Actually, I gather it depends upon the clade. The southern clade (Tupinambis rufescens, T.merianae, T.duseni) are good climbers when they're juveniles, but as adults are lousy (this doesn't mean they can't, they just don't typically) and usually can only climb if the item is "easy" such as a multi-branched tree. The northern clade (T.teguixin, T.longilineus, T.palustris) are apparently notorious climbers, probably because of their smaller size, slender bodies and lighter mass.

mine likes to climb too
    he climbs to the top of my head, he always wants to be on the top of everything, and once he is there he does bungee jumping without the rubber band

Mine occasionally likes to try but usually doesnt do that well As Tupinambis has said, as they get older the need to climb for the Argentine B&W seems to receed with age; when he was younger mine used to have branches in his enclosure, but since he hit 3' or so he has had no interest in climbing except into his log or up the garden steps. To be honest, he is so clumsy that he would probably fall and hurt himself anyway so climbings not really encouraged.

The day I had recieved my Argentine hatchling he was about 9 inches long - I had not finished the top to the enclosure I was working on however it is 30 inches tall - I went to sleep that night "Tegu in the enclosure" woke up in the morning and he was out and I found him in the closet - He managed to get his claws into the wood corners and climb out -that how he got his name "Houdini" after the great escape artist - He is quite larger now and does not seem to feel the need to climb anymore - He aint getting nowhere...

My Colombian on the other hand will tripod on his rear legs and tail - and jump and If I were to give the opportunity of leaving the top off of his 30 inch tall enclosure, I'm sure he would figure out soon enough how to get up and out...
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Albino"
    1.1.0 Ball Python 100% "Het Albino"
    1.2.0 Ball Python "Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Cinnamon Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Spider"
    0.2.0 Ball Python "Normal"

my enclosure is 7ft tall by 3ft deep by 5ft long. and thats how its staying for now. I will probably end up takeing the top shelf out and lowering the heat lamp.... but I will see how he does when I put him in there. I was originally going to get an Iguana, but then I found out about Tegu's. I think he will do just fine in this enclosure.

Sweetie. I don't think you will get much of a response from tristan. The Thread was posted in 2005 .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl