Thread: What happened to the shed?

Default What happened to the shed?

Hello all........Just wanted some feedback about something. My tegu has not shed in about 2 1/2 months or more....He is very large so It's not like I would expect him to be shedding often anyway.....However, about 4 weeks ago. He began to shed some on his back legs, around where the legs meet the body....After this nothing happened for a couple of weeks or so. Then, it kind of looked like he was about to start shedding his sides. However, it never happened. He really didn't shed anything...

I checked in the mulch and under the tarp in the room he uses to walk around... I am not really concerned about the situation, I just found it odd that the little bit of shed on the legs was the only thing that he shed..

Temps and humidity are perfect.....104 basking area, cool side 79. Humidity is constantly between 50-80%. He is in Zoo Med's pure cypress mulch.

Rob

There are far better experts on this site than me to tell you how often a full grown tegu should shed, but my vet recommended a 20-30 minute warm water soak for my tegu when she seemed to have shedding issues. She is shedding real good now. A warm water soak also helps to get the lizard to poop. It's much easier to flush the water down the toilet than clean the cage.
    Lin

1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon
    6.9.0 Bearded Dragons
    1.0.0 Florida Kingsnakes
    0.1.0 Cornsnakes
    0.2.0 Cats
    0.1.0 Dog

RIP Domino

Thanks for the reply.......But thats just it..... There is no shed.... Its not even a problem, he has always had decent sheds... Just this time, it looked like it was going to start with the legs and nothing happened. It's not like there is skin stuck to him or loose and he looks great.coloring and all...

Rob

HI october, would you say he is an adult now ?

Reason being, my full grown tegus shed like that now. Come to think of it so does my Sav.

Hello Angelrose..Yes, I would say young adult...I am estimating his age at around 18-19 months, give or take.

Rob

Do you feed him different foods ? it's not just about the humidity but also about the food that the Tegu eats when it comes to the shedding.When I see my Tegus starting to shed ( look dull ) I give them a 30 minute bath, too ( not so long with the babies because they don't like the water very much yet ).

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/skintests.htm
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl