Thread: Thank you, makers of welding gloves

Default Thank you, makers of welding gloves

Hello all. Just wanted to share something.... I normally wear welders glove to handle my tegu mainly becasue I let him keep his claws and I got tired of looking like a "Nightmare on Elm st" victim..lol

Anyway, I went to feed my tegu the other day. I usually bang on the enclosure and he comes moseying on down. I put my hand in there and wait for him to come over and he usually walks up my arm at that point. This time, however, he decided that he would not wlalk all the way to me, but rather leap into the air at me and bite down on my hand. Fortunately, I had the glove on and he kind of slipped before he could really lock down his jaws...

If I had not had the glove on. I would have had a 4 foot, about 11 lb tegu hanging off my hand like a pit bull.

I said.. " have you gone crazy or something?". It was almost like he was sorry because I went to pick him up and he did not want to go. He just layed down flat right near my hand and didn't move. I realize they cannot feel this emotion. However, he is still a good boy to me. I think he thinks he is still the little baby that he was when I got him...lol....

Rob

I was thinking of getting some Kevlar gloves for that purpose as well. I found some that were really, really cheap, plus they let you have pretty good use of your fingers.

Glad to hear you didn't get a serious bite.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Hello laurarfl... I believe the ones I own, have kevlar stitching. I got them at home depot for, I believe, around $14 or $15.

I was, pretty much, full on, bit by him about 6 months ago. It did not penetrate the glove, but the crushing pressure I felt through the glove amazed me.....The adult tegu is definitley an animal that commands respect.

Rob

Hi Rob.Thank God you are OK.That would of been one nasty bite.Do you have a new picture of him ? that would be great.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I think you need to look for the source of his aggression. Our Tegu's don't do that. But when we first got them they weren't happy with their living arrangements and let me know with aggressive behavior. Once they were put into their permanent enclosure (front opening) the aggressiveness disappeared. Many critters living in a tank will be aggressive because of the hand coming down from above. That reminds me, I need to build an enclosure for our 4 year old 26" female Blue. She's kind of aggressive and I'm sure she'd improve once she's not exposed to the world on 5 sides and isn't "attacked" from above anymore.
    1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas
    1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon
    0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Ball Python, 0.0.1 Corn

I have one tegu that is just territorial. Every time I pick her up from her cage I wonder if she's going to bite me. It's a front opening cage...she just has that "look". I got her when she was 4, so I don't know what her previous history was like. Well, I do...she was kept on concrete until she had no nails, only weighed 3 pounds, and was fed like a garbage can.

She's really a sweetheart and is great outside of her cage, outside in the yard, with kids at demonstrations...just not in her cage.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Hello all.... That lunge and bite was very unusual. One time, he jumped up at me, but he jumped right into my arms like a trained dog..

The thing is...Believe it or not, is the fact that he is so huge and healthy that his appetite is crazy... I load up the dinner plate with melons, meats, mice and he pretty much eats everything I put there all the time...

Even with the large meals, he always looks forward to dinner time, everytime... It did not really surprise me that he was hungry like that. He always is...lol...

He is not an agressive animal what so ever. If fac,t he is incredible shy and gets scared by any one else except for me... I am the only one he trusts and feels comfortable with. Comfortable enough to where's he's like...where's my dinner damn it? I'm fat, but I can still jump....lol

That is scary! I must admit I always look closely at my big boy to assess his mood before putting my hands near him when it's coming out of the viv time. He has a history (h3's 4-5 years old) of never having bitten or tail-whipped anyone (his owner said) and he is very docile - but I'm still very wary as he's still essentially a wild animal and something (a smell maybe) might set him off.