Thread: OH NO POOR FROGGIES

Default OH NO POOR FROGGIES

So every summer (never fails) a couple of puddles build up in the red mud outside my house and then are invaded by literally hundreds of tadpoles (I really have no idea what type of frogs though but I live in North Georgia if it helps[I am guessing they are just common bull frogs]) Anyway, also something that is completely reliable is two or three weeks after the start of summer those puddles dry up and I am left with the stench of a lot of dead tadpoles. being the animal lover I am, I was wondering if there was anyway to raise them on my own(only two or three though not the hundreds floating around) (besides I wanted pet frogs anyway.) I have the extra tanks, I just need to know what kind of water to use (weird question I know but should I use tap or pond water or what) Do I need a water pump? what do they eat? How long does it take them to grow? is it a good idea to keep two or three in the same tank (I know some creatures like to eat their brethren at a certain stage in life)

basically, I need advice on how to take care of tadpoles or a care guide.

ALL help is appreciated greatly, thanks guys ^-^
    www.myspace.com/christcody

1.0.0 Colombian Tegu (Thor)
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Montee)

I used to raise tadpoles with my kids. I'm betting they're probably toads or tree frogs. Are they little and black (toads) or kinda grayish/green?

I fed them fish food, Mazuri croc chow, and plants from the lake in front of my house (since I have those things on hand). They'll eat just about anything and won't cannibalize if they stay well fed.

Here's a link instead of typing all that out!

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/frogs...a/tadpoles.htm
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

You should definitely use dechlorinated water, regular tap water will kill them if it isn't treated.

By far, the majority of tadpoles are algae eaters, so if you can't grow enough algae then you should be looking at plant based foods.

As far as how long it will take for them to mature and metamorphize, that entirely depends on the species. The American bullfrog can spend up to 3 or 4 years in the tadpole stage, whereas spadefoots generally only take several weeks. Georgia actually has quite a few different clades of frogs so it would be hard to guess just by your general location.

Quote Originally Posted by tupinambis
    You should definitely use dechlorinated water, regular tap water will kill them if it isn't treated.

By far, the majority of tadpoles are algae eaters, so if you can't grow enough algae then you should be looking at plant based foods.

As far as how long it will take for them to mature and metamorphize, that entirely depends on the species. The American bullfrog can spend up to 3 or 4 years in the tadpole stage, whereas spadefoots generally only take several weeks. Georgia actually has quite a few different clades of frogs so it would be hard to guess just by your general location.
    There are carnivorous tadpoles too, but few species are carnivorous, and they tend to eat other tadpoles.

Yes, there are a few carnivorous tadpoles, but they are in an extreme minority. With exception of the oophagic tadpoles (of which there are none in Georgia), again the vast majority of tadpoles that are seen as carnivorous in the northern hemisphere use carnivory to supplement their herbivorous diet.

I'm rasing four tadpoles right now one has a large pair of back legs already. I think two are frogs and two are toads... I feed them boiled lettece and fish food. They seem to be doing good. Most tadpoles I can think of excluding bull frogs should take under 6 months to change.