Thread: I am going Field Herping for the first (legit) time Sunday

Default I am going Field Herping for the first (legit) time Sunday

I am so excited ^-^!!!

...of course it's going to be a "no capture" deal (except for maybe some frog eggs) just taking pictures and documenting.

I can't wait, I really hope to find some interesting animals.

according to enature.com there is quite the diversity of reptiles and amphibians in my area (111 to be exact) with lots of beautiful snakes.

my main goal is to see a Coachwhip snake.

anyone have any advice or pointers for a new herper?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    www.myspace.com/christcody

1.0.0 Colombian Tegu (Thor)
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Montee)

Based on my hikes through the woods, I've found I always get at least one tick on me, and a horsefly buzzing behind me and landing on my back. If you've went hiking before, you will know how bad those horseflies hurt! My advice would be to wear clothing that will cover as much of your skin as possible, so no mosquitoes eat you. I'd think twice about using a bug repellent, if you are going to pick up any herps you find, the bug repellent could harm them.

Also, if there are venomous snakes around, wear long pants and boots to protect against a bite.

And there's nothing you will hate most when your camera has low battery. Bring a spare set of batteries i case this happens. And most importantly, have fun field herping and post your pictures when you get back!

lol ^-^ I am an avid outdoors man (seeing as I grew up in the woods pretty much) misquotes don't bother me, neither do horseflies, we do regular tick checks during the summer anyway (our swimming hole is around a 1/2 mile hike through thick woods). so the nature part isn't the problem, its the finding and proper procedure when an animal is found. ^-^

basically...how do I find them? we are real good at running them off, but no idea where to find them lol. what do I need to document when I find the creature? I am excited ^-^

Think like a herp! Check under bushy places, logs, bark, rocks, and pretty much any place you think a herp might be. Finding anoles is no problem, but many herps seek shade during the day and emerge at night to feed.

You will probably find other animals too, not just herps. Walking quietly through the woods, you might stumble upon a deer. Maybe a mouse or two.

I actually admire you for taking the time to see some nature. It's a great thing, and I think everybody should see the world. And if you work out, walking through the woods is a good way to exercise while seeing nature.

most definatly, thanks for the advice ^0^