Thread: Normal to not be hungry after big meal?

Default Normal to not be hungry after big meal?

Hello all, Last night I fed Morrison his first small mouse. he ate it without a problem but I could tell he was full. well today he is not acting hungry and his belly still looks swollen. I gave him a warm bath and he poo'd. Is it normal for them to not be hungry for a day and ok to skip a day? I will give him another warm bath tonight on my break from work. I am just curious if they are impacted will they still poo? I am still figuring this all out so any help would be greatly appreciated. he seems to be in good health and is acting normal other than a swollen belly and no appetite today. Thanks in advance.
    Stand up for what you belive in... Even if you stand alone.

Thor will eat so much some times he looks fat after two or three poos, and won't eat for about as long, he kind of turns his nose up to even though he has DEVOURED (eaten just doesn't describe the ferocity he goes at his food with >_>) many times before, I would wait a few days before starting to get really on edge about it just try to feed him every day and he'll eat when hes hungry. he'll probably eat after all that mouse is digested (I mean chances are that mouse was a huge meal for him, especially if it is his first) you also have to take into consideration that it will probably take longer to digest a whole mouse versus ground turkey, eggs, and any other thing that isn't a whole living (well you know what I mean) creature
    www.myspace.com/christcody

1.0.0 Colombian Tegu (Thor)
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Montee)

Yep! Totally common. Nothing to worry about in the slightest. The cool thing about young reptiles is they will gorge themselves fat then have a growth spurt. Wish that worked for me. Skipping a day is totally ok as well if they ate really good the previous day.
    Tree hugging is the truest form of self preservation!
    http://facebook.com/gisartbiz

Thanks all. I feel like im a mother with a new child. Anything out of the ordinary and I start to worry.

:lol: I know how you feel.Yes, it's normal that sometimes they don't want to eat for a day ( sometimes up to a week if they are in a new home ).When they are impacted they don't want to move around very much and they will have a very hard time pooping and the vent will look very swollen most of the time.Feel free to come to us and ask as much as you want to as often as you want to.That's how well all learn :wink: .Oh, one more thing.It's also normal for them to slow down on eating when they are starting to shed and they can get very moody, too :lol: .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Default Re: Normal to not be hungry after big meal?

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn005
    Hello all, Last night I fed Morrison his first small mouse. he ate it without a problem but I could tell he was full. well today he is not acting hungry and his belly still looks swollen. I gave him a warm bath and he poo'd. Is it normal for them to not be hungry for a day and ok to skip a day? I will give him another warm bath tonight on my break from work. I am just curious if they are impacted will they still poo? I am still figuring this all out so any help would be greatly appreciated. he seems to be in good health and is acting normal other than a swollen belly and no appetite today. Thanks in advance.
    How could you tell your tegu was full? It certainly is alright to let your tegu skip some meals, especially one as nutritious as a whole rodent meal. If the mouse was large enough to have somewhat well developed bones, as opposed to a pinky, it will be a great meal for the tegu. I sharpen my tegus appetite on occassion by letting them go a day without food. I don't usually go anymore than a day, and with adults perhaps a couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn005
    Thanks all. I feel like im a mother with a new child. Anything out of the ordinary and I start to worry.
    Reptiles for the most part are well adapted to surviving during times of famine in the wild, and even though we have them in our homes, there are times where they won't eat because they are satiated. Keep a close eye on not feeding your tegu too much. There are some individuals that I swear are like dogs in that they have no limit and show no stopping. I have a young female now around 25", a black and white Argentine, and she is a pig. She could eat 4 or 5 adult mice, a mango, tomato, and a side of romaine without blinking an eye, or bating a lash. :wink:

So if she isn't going to exercise restraint in her diet, and why should she, she's opportunistic, then I'll have to.

Thanks all. Well Morrison was back to normal again today and ate well. Thanks for helping me put my concerns to rest.

Your welcome.That's what we are here for :wink: .I'm happy to hear that he ate well for you today.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

agreed keep us updated, believe me, I'm sure everyone on this forum is almost as excited about hearing about your reptile adventures as we are experiencing out own.

most herp owners live and breathe herps. ^-^
    www.myspace.com/christcody

1.0.0 Colombian Tegu (Thor)
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Montee)