Thread: Got my first Bite today

Default Got my first Bite today

Hello all, Well I got my first tegu bite today. I will say it was partly my fault. I had Morrison outside for sunshine today. As he was in his tub and not happy I took him out and he layed on my arm getting sun. I had a nasty ant crawling on me and of course I squished it. Well Morrison started moving around a little so he was going from hand to hand. His tounge flickered out and caught a small piece of the ant that I missed. And Bam he spun a little and latched onto my hand. Thank god he is still small.
    So instead of snatching away I just lowered him back into the tub until he let go. I kinda shocked me some as it was unexpected. after a min or two I was able to take him out and continue with out sunshine session. LOL
    Stand up for what you belive in... Even if you stand alone.

Sorry about your bite. Well, it's a natural thing that every animal bites.

Maybe he just likes ants

Ouch! Good thing he is still small. I think 'the surprise' bites always hurts more.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

I'm sorry that you got bit.Yea, with those Tegus you always have to be careful about getting bit once they're tongue start to go 100 miles per hour :lol: .You will know than that they are smelling something and want to go for it.Hope it will not happen to you again.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

GOT_TEGUS01 Guest

Default bite

Sorry you got bit hope you cleaned the wound .

Quote Originally Posted by BoxTurtle52
    Sorry about your bite. Well, it's a natural thing that every animal bites.

Maybe he just likes ants
    Yeah, maybe, but I wouldn't let my tegu eat any. Most ant species are mildly venomous anyway. and you have no idea what the ant has been eating.

I think I have been bit by one of everything! LOL. Tegu bites are no joke. Try to understand what happened so it doesn't happen again. You can be sending signals that you don't intend to send to your animal. It's like feeding an animal with your bare hand. At one point they are going to start to associate that hand, as the food source. You can end up being bit that way.

Tegu and monitor bites are perhaps some of the worst non-venomous(even though monitors do have venom glands and secrete mild toxins in their saliva) bites in the reptile world. Clean the wound as others have suggested thorough always right after you are bit, even if you don't think the skin was broken.

Thanks Pokey, I did clean the wound with antibacterial soap well. The skin was just scratched some and no bleeding. I never hand feed Morrison for that reason. I just think when I noticed him licking the ant piece I tried to move him to my other hand away from it and the sudden movement along with tasting the ant piece triggered the fedding respone. I will just have to be more careful in the future.
    Stand up for what you belive in... Even if you stand alone.

You may have had a panic reaction when you say him go for the ant. My Domino found a hole under the kitchen counter and headed for the netherworld. I panicked and tried to pry her out, but one leg was up under the edge. I guess it must have hurt her a little 'cause she bit me real good and Domino never bites! Ouch! It bled big-time and is just healing up now.
    Lin

1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon
    6.9.0 Bearded Dragons
    1.0.0 Florida Kingsnakes
    0.1.0 Cornsnakes
    0.2.0 Cats
    0.1.0 Dog

RIP Domino

lol

i logged in to post the same thing! I landed some rats into the enclosure and one climbed under mulligans chest. he was just standing there looking at me like....hey....where's the rat? So I pointed to his chest....

just as the rat ran out.....BAM! He bit my thumb. Got the whole enchalada into his mouth. Not sure who was more suprised me or him! he let go immediately and had his mouth wide open flicking the taste out his mouth. I guess I don't taste too good. I let out a few explicitives at hight volume and he slowly walked into the partial hide looking back at me with his head down. The rat was sitting there watching the whole show.

I then looked at the rat...mulligan noted my line of sight and slowly walked over to the now curious rat. He stops....looks at me.....looks at the rat......looks as me.....nuzzles the rat (who just sits there like a moron) and then tags the rat.

Funny.

I usually don't feed in the enclosure and got lazy....

that will school me, eh?

Anyhow..,after mulligan finished his meal he slowly crawled over and put is head under my hand and nuzzles up. I guess he is sorry.