Thread: Visual Differences - Colombian vs. Argentine

Default Visual Differences - Colombian vs. Argentine

While young most Tegu's are black and bright green. As time goes by and the tegu sheds the color will become closer to its adult coloration. There are obvious differences between the Black & White, Blue, Red & Gold, but it's a bit more closer between the Argentine Black & White and the Colombian Black Tegu. With a little info it's still pretty easy to tell them apart.

There is a definite biological difference between the Argentine Black & White Tegu and the Colombian Black Tegu. One difference, among many, is that the Argentine Black & White Tegu, (T. merianae) has two loreal scales while the Colombian Black Tegu, (T. teguixin) has only one. The loreal scales are directly between the nostril and the eye.

The Argentine Black & White tegu is also called the giant tegu, as it is the largest tegu in the world.

Also easily observed is the difference in skin types. The Argentine Black & White Tegu has a beaded skin, like that of a gila monster or an anolis. The Colombian Black Tegu has very smooth scales that completely cover the animal. The Colombian Black Tegu is smooth.

The Argentine Black & White Tegus also have two linear arrays of dots, one on each side of its back, running from the neck to the beginning of the tail. Those dots form two clearly visible lines on the Argentine Black & White Tegu's back. The Colombian Black Tegus lack such lines.

GOT_TEGUS01 Guest

Default great

great info i know many people get confused on columbians and argentines

Default scale differences...

I have an argentine b&w that's about a year old (a little shy since she's fairly new, but coming out of her shell pretty well but looking at her loreal scales I see 2 on one side and only 1 on the other... Thought I'd share and see what you guys thought!

http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/...eat=directlink

(2 scales)

http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/...eat=directlink

(1 scale?)

Cheers!

Lux
    Last edited by lux; 08-04-2009 at 12:34 AM. Reason: broken photo links...

I don't know if it would be considered an anatomic anomaly or just plain normal. The loreal scale count is a generalization but not a hard and fast rule. There are exceptions as you have showed us. Cool pics!

That's pretty neat. It's like the side show performer that's half man and half woman. Look, an Argentine! No wait, it's a Colombian, lol!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Thumbs up

OMG thank you so much Rick i have had the question in my head for the past few days as to what a loreal scale is thank you :lol:
    1.0.0 Black and White Argentine Tegu
    1.0.0 Crested gecko
    2.1.0 Bearded Dragons

Have a question? Google is your best friend.

Not always...alot of self proclaimed "Experts" out there. lol Welcome to the site, Blazing_Tiger.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

agreed, google can be a pain. But with concrete answers where there is nothing but one answer like "loreal scales", it can be rather useful

And thanks for the welcome. Made an account just to make that last comment. But i've seen the site before due to being a reptile lover and plan on getting a tegu once im well planted in a home and have a steady job. Me making an account was due to happen.

Alright, well we love new members so dont be afraid to stay awhile!
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl