What is a social group?

A social group is a group of people usually with a particular interest. Perhaps a local herp society, group of tegu owners within your state, perhaps a group of reptile rescuers, etc. It provides a way of communicating between the members of that group, as well as sharing photos or other images.

You can get to the list through 'Group Memberships' section on your public profile or directly through the "Community" link at the top of each page.

The Social Groups list page displays all groups that have been created. You can list the groups by the number of members, messages or pictures, the group name, when the group was created or by the date of the most recent message posted. You can use the controls provided to search for a group.

How do I join a group?

To join a group, click the group title then click 'Join Group'. When you have joined a group, its name will be shown in your public profile. You must be a logged-in, registered member to join groups.

Can I create my own social group?

As a registered member, you can create your own social group (providing the administrator allows this). Go to the groups page and click 'Create A New Group'. Complete the title and description for your group then select the type.

There are three types of groups:

Public - open to everyone. There is no restriction on who can join or who can post messages to it

Invite Only - require an invitation to be sent to join them. Invitations can only be sent by the group creator or forum moderators and administrators. Invitations are sent by clicking 'Pending & Invited Members' at the bottom of the page for that individual group

Moderated - open to everyone to join but messages need to be moderated before they will appear. They are moderated by the group creator and the site moderators and administrators

Now that you know what a Social Group is and you know where to find them, feel free to join one or make one.

Rick