Thread: How much is your adult tegu out and how often does he poop?

Default How much is your adult tegu out and how often does he poop?

Well my 5-year old adult male (only had him since January) seems to have slowed down - if it was time of year I'd say maybe hibernation but ... well he hardly seems to come out of his hide now (although he's still got some shed on lower half of tail and hide is humid). If we do manage to coax him out he will eat but he hasn't pooped now for about a week so I'm a bit worried. When he was out the other day I found he had left me some urates as a present but no actual poop - so guessing no impaction there. Do they go through these phases or should I be worried?

i'd say you should take my boy to the vet just to be safe. if you don't think it's nessesary try to see if you can get him to eat some activia yogurt. i have never tried this but people on this forum highly recommend it
    Argentine B&W Tegu 1.0.0 "Flo"
    Argentine Red Tegu 1.0.0 "Bubbles"
    Colombian Gold Tegu 0.0.1 "Skillet"
    Ball Python 1.0.0 "Djimon"
    Jungle Carpet Python 0.0.1 "Alucard"

R.I.P. Yoshi

Thank you for your reply, Corn-ball! Yesterday he actually came out and stayed out for a few hours (and ate too). He also left me a beautiful text-book sample of poo so I was really happy Today he's out again more so I think it was just a phase for him to see how long it would take to freak me out :wink:

Hello Razaiel......I do not have a hide in my enclosure. When he wants to sleep or hide, he burrows underneath the substrate.

As for the naswers to your question, my tegu is out, pretty much all day long. As far as pooping. It is usually every day or every other day.

However, it takes months for a tegu to actually get completely comfortable with his surroundings and owner.

Rob

Ditto...

My 2yo tegus are out all day from lights on at 9 until about 6 or so. My older girl is up from 9 until 4. They all poo just about every day or every other.

How are temps and humidity?
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I think the (basking) temps may have been it actually. I have a bank of 3 bulbs - one of which is a megaray - and it was hitting 110 - 115 now it's got warmer here. I took one out the day before yesterday so now it's only at about 95 -100. I think he may just prefer cooler temps because he's out pretty much all day again Thank you for your help everyone!

When I'm at home I let my two big Tegus ( Leonidas and Zeus ) free roam around the house all day.They do have a basking spot set up with UVB light and a heat pad ( set on low ).So when they are done taking they're bath and done pooping ( sometimes they poop twice ) they go to they're basking area.Other than that they are in they're enclosure.The babies come out every day to bask and poop but they stay in they're enclosure unless I hold them or have time to keep a eye on them.

This is the basking area.The bigger one is my Argentine b/w and the smaller one is my blue/red hybrid baby.

http://www.thetegu.com/modules.php?n...mage&pos=-3848

http://www.thetegu.com/modules.php?n...mage&pos=-3849
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

They are lovely! I'd like to have a couple of them but know I wouldn't have the room in the house to fit another vivarium if they didn't get on. The blue/red is very pretty.

Thank you for the compliment.I never knew that Tegus can be sooooo addictive.I never cared about not having allot of money until now because I would love to have the small Ranch from Agama :lol: .( in case you don't know who that is.He was a great Breeder of Tegus and other Reptiles.He past away not to long ago and his Ranch is up for sale ).
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Ah yes - Bert Langerwerf - apparently my tegu comes from his line his previous keeper told me. Guess a ranch like that would cost quite a bit but what a lovely thought!