Thread: Hissing Cock Roach for B&W Tegus

Default Hissing Cock Roach for B&W Tegus

I am starting a colony soon and was wondering if anyone thinks that hissing cockroaches would be good for my tegus then any others out there?They are very easy to breed I have heard from my friend that owns a reptile shop...Any input would be great..Axe
    0.1 Black & White Argentine Tegus
    0.1 Kahl Super Sunglow Red Tail Boa
    1.0 Het for Snow Red Tail Boa
    1.1 Pastel Ball Python,
    1.0 Butter Albino Corn Snake
    0.1 Russian Tortoise (RIP Terdis)
    1 Sulcata tortoise (RIP Jr.)
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 cats
    rat's

Before my tegu was mine I saw him get fed a hissing cockroach and the poor guy was terrified of it. He ended up thrashing around the tank trying to get away from the roach while the roach was running in circles trying to get out of the light. It was scary, depressing, sad. The roach then got fed to a monitor, who wasn't quite afraid of it but was clearly angry it was in his tank. The monitor ate the cockroach but he didn't seem to enjoy it in the slightest. Very crunchy.

I say yeah. Tegus are going to get big fast and it is a lot more meat vs shell than crickets or superworms. It suffices a lot more as a meal for them and if they are gutloaded then they are good for you tegu and I threw in a good sized one the other day and my tegu finally finished it off in about 10 mins. My tegu seemed to enjoy it very much throwing it all around the enclosure and shaking it.

Sweet!I have given her small ones about1/2 inch or so with no problems.She is about 20 inches long and getting big.She thrashes anything in her path.I feed in a separate enclosure so I will try a big one (like 2 inches) and see how she does..Thanks for the input........Axe
    0.1 Black & White Argentine Tegus
    0.1 Kahl Super Sunglow Red Tail Boa
    1.0 Het for Snow Red Tail Boa
    1.1 Pastel Ball Python,
    1.0 Butter Albino Corn Snake
    0.1 Russian Tortoise (RIP Terdis)
    1 Sulcata tortoise (RIP Jr.)
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 cats
    rat's

Hola Axe ! Yuk ! ...lol

I don't know much about the hissing ones. I hear more about the dubia (can't say their name ..lol)

but, check out this video:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...82951932147440

If yours is doing well feeding in a sepearate enclosure thats good but I had a problem feeding mine out of his cage...*thinks* maybe because i was feeding him on my bed and he use to always try and run away* then i started feeding him in his enclosure and he eats like a champ and seems much more active so you can try that if your having any problems. I feed on a plate though on top of bricks which i use for basking so i dont risk impaction. I think roaches are very very good for tegus and yours sounds about the same size as mine.

I breed the Madagascar Hissing cockroaches, and both my savannah monitor and Tegu loves them! I would suggest feeding them outside of the cage though because the roaches will run for cover immediately and of course theres the risk of substrate compaction. I always put mine in a container in the fridge for a few mins to slow them down, I know many people do this with crickets for slower reptiles as well.

how's your prairie dog? whats he like? pictures?

How many hissers would you feed an adult?
    0.0.1 Blue tegu
    2.3 Leopard geckos
    1.1 American pit bull terriers
    A lot of Madagascar Hissers