Thread: urban carnivore?

Default urban carnivore?

We have a columbian tegu and i was woundering if urban carnivore raw dog food could be given to the tegu for variety. he eats sdz diet, canned bugs and live ones, snails, fish peaces etc. were always looking to give him variety.

urban carnivore has(I copy pasted for info)

Beef Patties
    Finely ground whole beef carcass
    4lbs/8 - 8oz patties per package
    Nutritional Information
    Chicken Patties
    Finely ground whole chicken carcass
    Nutritional Information
    Lamb Patties
    Finely ground whole lamb carcass
    Nutritional Information
    Duck Patties
    Finely ground whole duck carcass
    Nutritional Information
    Rabbit Patties
    Finely ground whole rabbit carcass
    Nutritional Information
    Bison Patties
    Finely ground whole bison carcass
    Nutritional Information
    Elk Patties
    Finely ground whole elk carcass
    Nutritional Information
    Quail Patties
    Finely ground whole quail carcass
    Nutritional Information

Vegetable 'n' Fruit Patties
    Strict carnivores, cats need only animal foods. In nature, dogs will eat vegetation on a seasonal basis or when preferred foods are scarce. Vegetables 'n' Fruit and Beef Green Tripe are not essential but can be included in the diet of normal, healthy pets and may be beneficial in diets for pets with certain health disorders such as advanced kidney disease.
    Feeding Tip: Vegetables 'n' fruit can be fed as a separate meal, or combined with Whole Animal or Prairie-Fed Beef Offal patties every meal, once a day, several times a week (or not at all).
    Contains: Romaine lettuce, Green leaf lettuce, Bok Choy, Celery, Carrots, Pears, Apples, Blueberries
    8 - 8oz patties per package
    Nutritional Information
    Beef Green Tripe Patties
    Green tripe from forage fed ruminant animals supplies omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, and "friendly" lactic acid bacteria. Green tripe generally delivers equal calcium to phosphorus ratio, and is an excellent source of protein, fiber and fat.
    Feeding Tip: Prairie-fed Beef Green Tripe can be fed as a separate meal, or combined with Whole Animal or Prairie-Fed Beef Offal patties every meal, once a day, several times a week or not at all.

Contains: Beef stomach wall and green stomach content
    Nutritional Information

Beef Offal Patties
    Beef offal is harvested from animals farm raised naturally. It offers a nutrient-dense source of protein, vitamins, minerals, enzymes and fatty acids. It's Mother Nature's supplement! Offal is valuable food for any pet but especially performance and breeding animals, growing pups and kittens, pregnant and lactating females, pets with skin problems or during convalescence. It also works wonders to ease constipation.
    Feeding Tip: For added variety and nutrients, feed extra Beef Offal as a separate meal, mixed with Vegetables 'n' Fruit or Beef Green Tripe. You can also add extra Beef Offal to your pet's favorite Whole Animal carcass diet several times a week.
    Contains: Beef heart, liver, kidneys, tongue, spleen, lungs
    Nutritional Information

Chicken Meaty Bone Patties
    An important dietary addition for puppies and nursing females to ensure adequate mineral requirements and/or calories are met during growth and lactation.
    Feeding Tip: Rotate all varieties of whole animal diets including Chicken Meaty Bone patties per meal, several times a week or as needed to satisfy your pet's requirements. Economize your feeding menu by using Chicken Meaty Bone patties at one meal and Whole Animal patties at another!

Contains: Finely ground chicken backs
    Nutritional Information

I'd go by the complete ingredient list and go with the cat food vs dog food. Cat food is for carnivores and may be closer to the tegu diet of a Colombian without the grain fillers.

A couple of things to think about: A lot of times phosphoric acid or dicalcium phosphate is added and that is something to consider since you want a lower phosphorous intake with reptiles (Ca:P = 1.5/2:1). Since cats have kidney issues quite frequently, some cat foods are lower in phosphorous. I wouldn't offer cat food or dog food as a staple (just my opinion), but once in a while as a treat is nice. Some whole rodents, small quail, eggs, etc may be nice, too. The whole prey will add minerals that are not food in a whole state in the SDZ diet or insects such as calcium in bones, Vit A&D in liver, etc.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl View Post
    I'd go by the complete ingredient list and go with the cat food vs dog food. Cat food is for carnivores and may be closer to the tegu diet of a Colombian without the grain fillers.

A couple of things to think about: A lot of times phosphoric acid or dicalcium phosphate is added and that is something to consider since you want a lower phosphorous intake with reptiles (Ca:P = 1.5/2:1). Since cats have kidney issues quite frequently, some cat foods are lower in phosphorous. I wouldn't offer cat food or dog food as a staple (just my opinion), but once in a while as a treat is nice. Some whole rodents, small quail, eggs, etc may be nice, too. The whole prey will add minerals that are not food in a whole state in the SDZ diet or insects such as calcium in bones, Vit A&D in liver, etc.
    thats why i was looking at the urban carnivore.

Its not a dog food like say canned dog food. Urban carnivore is the WHOLE animal ground up and frozen into patties(Like a burger). so when their eating the pattie. their eating everything just like eating a whole prey item. I dont think they add anything to the animal patties but id have to check it out to be sure.

what they were saying about cat food is actually just that you give them a meat pattie and dont bother with the veggie patties they also offer.(They sell supplemental things for the diet).

www.urbancarnivore.com shows a bit more info

It does say

"The animals we choose must be healthy, disease-free and raised following natural management and feeding practices that are free from harmful additives, antibiotics or hormones. In fact, we purposely avoid feedlot and factory farmed animals for this reason. The animals we purchase are slaughtered at regulated and approved abattoirs, then prepared and packaged into the final product the Urban Carnivore presents to you."
    Kelvin

Arg. B&W ~Tegasaurus Rex~
    2 Green Tree Frogs
    3 Anoles
    Snapper Wahmenitu
    Albino Cornsnake Nathan Scott Phillips II
    Black Pepper Roach Colony
    Seemingly a Billion Mollies
    Tropical Fish Tank

Check me out @
    http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser...f-bf7a65a934e9

Oooohhhh, it's a frozen raw diet, I get it.

I thought it was just another commercial diet and even the best usually have some additives somewhere in there. Looks cool! Heck looks like you could feed just about anything on their menu to a tegu.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Bummer...it doesn't look like they are in the states...
    Kelvin

2 Green Tree Frogs
    3 Anoles
    Snapper Wahmenitu
    Tropical Fish Tank

Check me out @

Quote Originally Posted by Tegs Rex View Post
    Bummer...it doesn't look like they are in the states...
    I know there are some raw diets in the states.

google barf diets or brands(Their raw diets for dogs) im sure you can find some if you look for that.

Oh I don't doubt it, I've never looked!! Thanks for the tip!!
    Kelvin

2 Green Tree Frogs
    3 Anoles
    Snapper Wahmenitu
    Tropical Fish Tank

Check me out @