Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The beasts

Yup... It is now found on every continent. I believe it is already threatening 1/3
    of the entire worlds population of amphibians to the point of extinction. Imagine that percentage....1/3 of the entire world's population of frogs. They are worried becasue if there are no frogs, it will set the eco system off and also, they use frogs for medical research....Never mind the big loss in the pet trade.

Its sad, but the pet trade is partial responsible for it. The african clawed frogs (the aquatic frogs they have in the tanks with the fish at most pet stores)are a major carrier of it. However, I don't belive they show signs or are affected by it. I believe that there are actually around 12 states where it is prohibited to sell african clawed frogs.

Also, think about this. People buy frogs for pets all the time.. Sometimes they die and they flush them down the toilet. Right into the sewer outputs, which means if the frog had chytrid, it is now in that water dump area...

Also, if people release their pet frogs into the wild or their backyard ponds and the frog may have have it...Also, it can be tracked in through mud on the bottom of your shoes and or spread if some water or soil from one frogs tank get's into another.

Rob

Don't forget all the tadpoles that are being sold in children's toy catalogs and let go as adults. Who cares if the species is actually native to the area or healthy?
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets