Thread: What to do???

Default What to do???

so its day 3 with shredder and im sorta confused. i gave him some crickets and he didnt even look at them then i tried some meal worms and nothing. i am feeding him in his cage on a plate(i know not the best idea) only because i dont have a good area to feed him. he doesnt want to eat and hes been trying to escape all morning. jumping and attempting to climb the glass. i know its only been 3 days but im new to this and dont no wat to expect. please help:

Just wait and see put some food in his cage like ground turkey or egg and see what he does just wait and see you will know if he wants it or not if not then idk what to say he's not hungry or something is wrong

It takes some time for them to get used to their new home and environment. It can vary in time.

When you feed the crickets to Shredder only place a few at a time and wait till he eats those before adding more. Too many at once can stress a tegu out too. By all means, do not leave the crickets in over night.

Maybe try a small of amount of something smelly like chicken (raw at room temp) or f/t pinkie/hopper mouse usually appeals to them.

I know that you know that it's not a good idea to feed him in his enclosure and I realy don't recommend it.Someone elses Tegu got impacted a few days ago because he was feeding the Tegu in the enclosure.I recommend putting him in a plastic bin to feed him.Put the food in there first and than put him in there.The good thing is that he wants to get out of his enclsoure.Some Tegus when they are in a new home they want to hide for a few days sometimes a week.If you don't have a bin you can put him in the clean bath tub ( it worked well with some of my Tegus ).That way it's easier to get the crickets out than out of the enclosure.If you want to you can try some fresh catfish filet at room temps.If you get that fish or any other fish ( cod, tuna, salmon,tilapia ) please make sure that you tell the person at the fish market to give the fish with out growth hormones in it.Most farm raised fish have that in it.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

i apreciate all the helpful info from everyone finding this site has been very helpful. Once you mentioned fish it made me wonder. I go salmon fishing every year and have more fish than i can handle once october comes around. Can i feed shredder some, it wouldnt be farmed and honestly most of the fish i catch is far more fresh than any you will find in the stores.( most of my fish comes from about 1/2 mi away from the ocean) so what i guess im asking is that there is no repercussion feeding him salmon.(thawed and at room temp of course)