Thread: Looking for comments on my new tank layout for the hatchling

Default Looking for comments on my new tank layout for the hatchling

Youtube Enclosure Video

Updated Video

I know some of you probably read both these and tegutalk.com forums, but I wanted to post this up on both sites just to get as much feedback as possible. I'm pretty excited about the new GU coming from varnyard on tuesday, and was looking for some constructive criticism on the setup. I already made a couple changes and am very happy with the results.

I used the top of a kitty litter box for the cave. it BARELY fits width wise into the tank, but it's perfect once I squeeze it down in there. There is a little vent on the back top of it that i managed to wedge the temp and humidity sensors into, so that I can keep track of the weather in there I'm liking this setup much more than the way I had it for Steve. I'm hoping the tegu feels right at home. I was starting to wonder if maybe the cats were tormenting Steve when I wasn't home. I put some boards on there so that the cats cant see him and vice versa. They can still go up to the tank and look in, but at least this way for most of the time he will feel safe and not like he's on display. I ended up using 2 bags of cyprus mulch in there this time. I may even add a little more here and there. I'm hoping he really likes the cave. I'm really happy with it myself

I'm also changing my light schedule around. Instead of 7am to 7pm, I'm doing 10am to 10pm. That way he's just waking up and basking when I get home from lunch, and I can handle him a bit. Then after work hopefully he will still be up, and I can feed him then, instead of having to rush around and try to get it done at lunch time. I'm hoping this gives us all more time with the new Tegu. The problem I had before was the only time I saw Steve during the week was lunch time. I'd feed him, and by the time I got off work he was in the mulch burrowed for the night. We only saw him on the weekends. Makes it pretty tough to build any trust. I'm going to keep adjusting the lights as Bobby said to have him adjust to MY schedule, instead of the other way around. I'll just keep moving the lights on and off an hour later until we hit a nice balance. I think in the end this will make him more comfortable as we will be able to build much more trust and I'll be able to spend much more time with him.

I have a pretty expensive methanol system for my wrx that is being unused right now, so I may convert it into a mysting system. I think I could pull it strait out of the car, clean it all out real good and flush it out with some water, and use it for a misting system. The nozzle i have pretty much atomizes the water, and it has some serious pressure behind it. I think it will work incredibly well for a mister for the lizard. I just have to figure out a way to rig up a DC power source for it. Then just put it on a timer. They have a pretty nice one at lowes with 20 programmable cycles for like 6 or 7 bucks. My only concern is the lights? They lights are supposedly mist safe, but this thing puts out some serious water in a real fine mist. Do any of you guys with automated misting systems have any trouble breaking lights or anything? My misting nozzle wont be very far below the lights, and although it will be pointing down, I'm sure some of the mist will end up on the bulbs. I was hoping to hear some feedback about this issue specifically.

Anways I think I have rambled on long enough. I'm so excited about my new hatchling, and I finally got around to picking up some mulch and getting the new tank all ready to go. I bleached it out and bleached the water bowl and everything else, so it should be nice and clean for him.

Check out the youtube video and let me know what you think. I would love to hear some feedback either way.

I'll post the link to the updated video after i made a couple changes when it's done uploading.

Thanks!

-Kade
    Last edited by simon021; 07-11-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Congrats on the new tegu and the enclosure looks great!!

Hi Kade.Congrats on your soon to be new Tegu .That's a nice enclosure.It make me want to hide in that hiding spot.I realy like the back wall.Can't wait to see some pictures when you get him/her.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I'm about to burst with anticipation. I just hope it's only a 1 day journey for him and not 2. It took Steve 2 days to get to Angelrose, but he made it fine. I just might die if I have to wait an extra day though! :oops: Bobby is shipping him out tomorrow, Monday, so hopefully he'll be here Tuesday. I just wanted to get the tank temps stable and make sure the new arrangement was going to work the way I had hoped. I'm still trying to find a nice chunk of slate or something to put between the water dish and the hot end of the tank to help him with his shedding. Can't seem to find anything the right size around here. Next week I may hit up a landscaping store they have nearby. I hear they have tons of sandstone and slate.

I'll be sure to make a video of the new hatchling in his tank when I get him

Kade did you get the call from Bobby? Did he ask you the temps outside always wondered what he asks people when he calls them.

Funny, two weeks ago Bobby was asking me what my weather was like! Picked my guy up at the post office.

...Jefroka

I got the call tonight. He's shipping it out tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it will take 2 days since I live in the sticks, so I'll be looking for him wednesday morning!

Got my tracking number tonight! Looks like wednesday for sure. I live in a little town so I should be able to pick him up right at 7 or 8am wednesday morning. The postal lady that works there every day has water dragons and geckos and stuff so he will be in good hands once he gets there I'll be sure to post pictures and video

He came!! He got here this morning. Youtube video uploading now and then I'll post a link.