Thread: Fla. S373-Ban Pythons / YOU MUST ACT NOW

Default Fla. S373-Ban Pythons / YOU MUST ACT NOW

FLORIDA- Help USARK Fight S373 "PYTHON BAN"

As promised USARK is spearheading a multi-pronged, multi-state, multi-media, grass roots campaign to gain a favorable outcome on S373 the "Python Ban". The recent tragedy in Florida combined with the recent Senate EPW Hearing in Washington, DC has provided Senator Bill Nelson a platform and the momentum to get this bill moving. It could move VERY QUICKLY! We think that it may not move on it's own. It is quite possible that the language from S373 could be added to one of the big spending bills moving through the Senate. Regardless of how it happens, the information we have received from our team of lobbyists on Capitol Hill indicates that there is enough interest in the bill for it to move now.
    The first steps need to be taken by Florida citizens. The bill sponsor is Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL). Florida citizens are more likely to influence him than anyone else! I know many are furious about all the misinformation that has been put forward as if it were fact, but this is the time to get past that. It is crucial that the Reptile Nation present itself as reasonable and open to discussion. The language we use will be polite, professional and designed to enlist his cooperation. We need his cooperation. This bill is going to move. There is much sympathy for it in the Senate. Our challenge is to convince Senator Nelson that our suggestions will give him a better bill. Better for him, and better for Florida citizens.

Again, this is only the first step. It is like peppering the battlefield prior to the major assault. To be successful will require the Reptile Nation to do what is required to make our case. I wish it were so easy as to just send out an email and be done with it. Random emails to legislators that are not familiar with the bill will do very little. Email can be effective if used in a very focused and targeted manner; and as part of a larger comprehensive strategy. With all that said, the first step will be an email by Florida Citizens to Senator Bill Nelson. Once this has been done we will be ready for the next step in the strategy USARK has created.
    1. Copy the Sample Letter
    2. Click the link below to email Senator Nelson and choose Position on an Issue
    3. Fill out your info in the provided fields
    4. Choose Everglades Restoration as Topic
    5. Put Please Amend S373 in Subject Line
    6. Paste the Sample Letter into the correct field
    7. Add your signature line to the Sample Letter
    8. Click Submit
    9. Email president@usark.org and let us know you did your part!
    Click here to Email Senator Nelson
    http://billnelson.senate.gov/contact/email.cfm
    Click here to Donate $5 with Zoo Med dollar for dollar matching
    http://usark.org/donate.php

SAMPLE LETTER: (copy & paste)
    Please Amend S373
    Honorable Senator Bill Nelson,
    Thank you for your interest and concern regarding Everglades Restoration. Your dedication and commitment to this issue is to be commended. As a reptile keeper and Florida voter I value the Everglades as a wonderland of reptiles and biodiversity. The introductions of invasive species like the feral cat and fire ants have made an unprecedented negative impact on the wildlife and eco-system of the Everglades. I support your effort to gain funding to protect this precious resource.
    Currently I must oppose S373 because as written it would end the import and commerce of all pythons. The quality of information that has been provided to you regarding the captive bred reptile community has been poor. There is no credible evidence that most pythons are a problem, or would ever be a problem, in Florida or anywhere else. In your testimony before the recent EPW Hearing you mentioned that you just wanted to stop the import of Burmese Pythons. If that is the case I can support your position. I would suggest that your bill be amended to end the import of ONLY the Burmese Python; with language allowing for the commerce and interstate transport of the Burmese Python to continue. Thousands of Florida families have invested their entire net worth in high quality captive breeding projects. There is a Florida Fish & Wildlife Permit system put in place to mandate secure caging, safety inspections and micro chipping. These animals are securely housed and can be extremely valuable. Destroying this trade would hurt the economy of Florida.

To recap, I would support the ban on the import of Burmese Pythons ONLY. All other pythons should not be a part of this legislation. There should also be a provision for the interstate transport and trade of captive bred Burmese Pythons already in the country to continue.
    Thank you for your consideration,

usark.orgUnsubscribeBecome a MemberDonateDeveloped by
    Site Control 24/7

If Sen Nelson would compromise and ban only the import of Burms, that would be a great compromise!!!!

I'm writing my letters!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes