Thread: A concern I have.

Default A concern I have.

I know Tegus hibernate, and that she could still be possibly getting use to her new home (I've had her 3-4 weeks), however my red tegu stays under about 95% of the day. So I have developed some concern with this and the lack of eating and lack of exposure to her UV light. What shoudl I do? Should I wake her? Let her sleep constantly? When should I offer food? It seems like I am constantly waisting food with her because she fails to wake up and the food just sits there and sits there and then I have to replace it with new food.

my red is doing the same thing does anyone know if reds hibernate earlier than b/w

I thought as long as it was hot enough the tegus won't hibernate.

Tegus have like a internal clock.It doesn't matter if the temps are right ( high ).They hibernate if they want to.Two years ago one of my b/w hibernated ( Zeus ) and the other one didn't ( Leonidas ) and the temps were the same in both enclosures.What are the temps in the enclosure ? you might want to raise it a bit 110 - 115.What you can do is get some lean ground turkey and put them in small zip lock bags ( I food save them ) in small portions.Put it in the fridge the day before you are going to use it and right before you give your Tegu the food you can warm it up.That way you don't have to throw away all the food.Just give a little bit at a time.How does the base of the tail look like ? if it's nice and thick your Tegu will be fine ( for now ) because that's where they store all their fat.If you are very worried what you can do is dig your Tegu up and take him outside for about one hour to get some natural UVB and see if you can see any changes in your Tegu.Most of the time it works.Please keep us posted.Thanks.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

The base of the tail is ok looking its not extremly thick as she has been a very picky eater since the first day I had her. Maybe I will try to bring her out today.

If your tank is in a room with lots of noise and traffic it may scare her. I know my Dozer runs away to hide when the music gets noisy or if we have to many strangers in the house. It just makes him feel unsafe, I guess. He is better now that he is at eye level...He was on the ground before so could never really see anything other than kicking feet. I understand how that can be very stressful.

p.s. My red only came out of hibernation a month or two ago.

I checked the basking temp in her cage, it is running about 115ish (is it me or is that just too high?) I also noticed a few times she comes out when I wake up in the morning before I even turn the lights on... another indicator that it could be just too hot for her.

I keep mine at 110-115 and they do fine. Some of my animals are early risers and come out before the lights turn on and some come out later.

I can't remember what you said you are using, if you said at all, but the thermometer makes a difference. Any stick-on gauge is not very accurate. I bought a digital probe from Wal-Mart for about $10-$20. If I ever get to a reptile show I'd like to a get an infrared temp gun.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl View Post
    I keep mine at 110-115 and they do fine. Some of my animals are early risers and come out before the lights turn on and some come out later.

I can't remember what you said you are using, if you said at all, but the thermometer makes a difference. Any stick-on gauge is not very accurate. I bought a digital probe from Wal-Mart for about $10-$20. If I ever get to a reptile show I'd like to a get an infrared temp gun.
    Bought a digital probe, it ends @ 115 anything after that it just says H (high) and it was climing pretty good when it hit 115 not like going in 0.1 incriments.