Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sterile mice??

Default Sterile mice??

hi i was just asking where you first bought your breeder mice. i had bought 1 male and 3 females. the male did nothing. after that i bought another male, and it seemed to maybe done the job. i was just wondering if petcos mice are sterile. also do you have any other tips to make them breed??

thanks for the info

Hi schiffy.I don't breed any feeder mice.The reason why not is in the link below.I don't recommend feeding live rodents.I had a ball python for 3 years.She wouldn't eat f/t rats so I had to give her live ones.I always got them from our local reptile store but one day I didn't had enough gas ( it's a long drive to that store ) so I went and got some rats from petco.Two days later she threw them up and a few days later our Snake was dead.I realy think there was something wrong with the rats.

http://www.rodentpro.com/qpage_articles_01.asp
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I seem to remember a thread a while back about the rodents from Petco not being good.

I'm trying to search for it.

From my experience, nothing live from petco is good, a few of my friends had to buy petco rodents while their local rep stores were out and their snakes became rather sick after eating them. The Petco back where I grew up at always had one animal area closed off for "redecoration" in which I found out it was to quarentine their animals because the health department came by and threatened to shut them down.

Kinda bumping this. I recently bought the feeder mice from Petco in hopes of breeding, so far the male is doing next to nothing in ways of getting action, pissing me off. I also tried to get breeding mice from a local exotic pet store, but the ******* gave me a male that was on its death bed and it died shortly after I got it home, so that place is out of the question forever, **** that owner.

PS, if you live in Austin, don't buy from Herptons Exotic pets or AAA.
    Columbian Rainbow Boa
    Blue Tail Monitor
    Black Throat Monitor - Hatchling
    Black Throat Monitor- Juvinile

Monitor- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJUSO8JGKec

One of the best things you could do is buy from a dealer at a reptile show. They normally have great deals. A few months ago I bought 50 mice for 9$.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

Ya, they have a reptile show comming near me at the end of this month, definitly going to visit, a little upset I don't see any tegus or monitors on the vendor list. But hoping I can find some cool deals on accessories and get some breedable mice. Trying to some money on food, but thus far it is costing me a ludicris amount becuase I keep getting screwed. I'd really just like a break.
    Columbian Rainbow Boa
    Blue Tail Monitor

I seriously doubt that Petco takes the time and expense to sterilize their mice. I have no experience with live products from them, but I can only imagine what kind of awful mouse chow they feed their stock with, based on the food I've seen on their shelves. They might not feel robust enough to mate.

We only use rodentpro.com now. We tried mice that were raised at a couple local pet stores. Our reptiles liked them fine, but the breeding conditions seemed really dirty and uncontrolled. In the big reptile store near us, crickets are free to walk from cage to cage carrying whatever disease or parasites they wish. Escaped mice are running around the store. Sometimes the employees would bring a little snake up to a bin of fuzzies and let it go to town. We didn't like bringing contaminated food home to our little ones, and we increasingly didn't like doing any business at that place.

If you have room in your freezer or a friend you can share with, the shipments from rodentpro can end up being a really good deal, but you do have to buy a lot to make the shipping costs effiicient.

I looked at rodent pro and thier prices are great. Unfortunately I don't have the money to make my inner stingyness feel like it is worth it. The 40+ dollar shipping while thier prices are super low, just kills me inside when I'm buying 100-200 mice for 100 bucks at one time with 70+% of box space left.

Also I figure the mice will provide some cuteness for children that visit my house, I'm hoping that hey, "Hey want to pet some cute mice" will match up to, "I have a theme park in my back yard." (it's a joke chill)
    Columbian Rainbow Boa
    Blue Tail Monitor

I know. I just stopped and thought geez how big is this box?!
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)