Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tegu can't swim!

Default Tegu can't swim!

Domino, my Argentine b/w, keeps sliding into our pool. She paddles a little and sinks right to the bottom. She can't swim. I am beginning to think she is not too bright. By now, I would think she would have learned her lesson and stay away from the pool, but nooooo. We keep having to fish her out and she has lost her free-roam privleges on the back porch. Does anyone out there have any experience with tegus swimming?
    Lin

1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon
    6.9.0 Bearded Dragons
    1.0.0 Florida Kingsnakes
    0.1.0 Cornsnakes
    0.2.0 Cats
    0.1.0 Dog

RIP Domino

Default like an aligator

Both mine swim around the bath tub with there legs pulled back against there body and there tail whipping bank and forth to propel them along. they even dive down to the bottom and swim around under water. Mine really seem quite at home in the water.

Tegus are very good swimmers.I don't recommend leting your Tegu swim in the pool because of all the clorine.

In this video you can see a Tegu swim very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idAlq...e=channel_page
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

yeah i was gonna say the pool would be very bad for them too ... too many additives to the water.. unsafe..

mine love the bath tub
    0.1.0 Col. Tegu
    0.1.1 Arg. Tegu
    0.2.0 Leos
    0.0.1 Spotted Python
    0.0.1 Painted Turtle

It is not my intention that Domino swim in the pool. She goes in on her own. It is like her tail is so heavy it pulls her down. Nor does she walk as straight as Juancha in the video (loved that video). Her tail has a crimp in it like it may have been broken, but the vet says she is OK. I don't know when she could have injured herself because I got her as a hatchling. Maybe she is slightly handicapped. Who knows? She has had 2 rather expensive vet visits, including x-rays and he says everything is good, no MBD or anything. I use the same vet as Laurarfl and I think he is a good one. I don't want her to miss her fun on the porch so we just make sure she is well supervised in case she goes in the pool.
    Lin

6.9.0 Bearded Dragons
    1.0.0 Florida Kingsnakes
    0.1.0 Cornsnakes
    0.2.0 Cats
    0.1.0 Dog

RIP Domino

I'm glad that you liked the video .Chris did a great job with her.I know that you don't let her go in the pool and she does it on her own .Have you thought about putting a fens and a gate around the porch and put a baby pool for her on the porch ? I think that ( like you sad that her tail was maybe broken ) because her tail has some damage to it that she can't use it like Juancha can.It's like us trying to swimm with one arm.It can happen but it's a lot harder.I would try the baby pool.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Juancha is a real lean tegu, too. She's long and not very heavy. My tegus are not obese, but much heavier by comparison. I wonder how they would do in a pool? They like the tub for a little bit, but the water is only shoulder deep at most and they just sit in and look like they are basking.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

that video was awesome. I never thought to let my tegu swim but by golly you know i am going to fill the bath tub up tonight and see what happens.

I don't really know how to tegu-proof our pool. It would be too expensive to put a fence inside the porch and around the pool. We will just continue to supervise her. Whatever happened to her tail has long ago healed. She has a real heavy tail and has no problem swatting me with it when she is in the mood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lin

6.9.0 Bearded Dragons
    1.0.0 Florida Kingsnakes
    0.1.0 Cornsnakes
    0.2.0 Cats
    0.1.0 Dog

RIP Domino

::facepalm:: keep the tegu out of the pool man
    Argentine B&W Tegu 1.0.0 "Flo"
    Argentine Red Tegu 1.0.0 "Bubbles"