Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tegu can't swim!

I understand that it's to expensive.There is a floting device they sell that has a alarm built in.If someting gets into the water like a small child it will go off.I don't know if that would work with the Tegu because she isn't very heavy but it's worth a try.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Just an idea,..but since she has been checked out, everything's okay and her tail just has a crimp in it, maybe she's just not strong enough yet. Or got the coordination down since she hasn't been using it. She obviously likes to swim (or at least be in the water like most tegus) if she keeps goin for the pool. So why not start her off in the tub? Like Hydrotherapy,.. so she can get her strength up by working on the muscles they use to swim, her coordination and she might even work that crimp out. Or if she's too big for the tub try a kiddy pool with some thing inside for her to rest on when she gets tired and or can get in and out of on her own. That way she's alot easier to supervise and just in case you get distacted you wont have to worry about something bad happening.

I bought a small kiddie/pet pool at Petsmart for Tank to swim in. I think it was like $6. Tank doesn't seem to like water for some reason and quickly figured out how to climb out of the pool. So now I put him in the bathtub. I'm planning on getting a bigger kiddie pool for him so he can soak outside and get some sunlight.

You might try the kiddie pool idea, but make sure she can't climb out. Good luck with your girl.
    The most experienced breeder of B & W Arg. and Red Tegu's--Johnny LaRocca!

He learned from his friend and the most influential reptile breeder in America, Bert Langerwert. In Bert's newly published biography he has this to say about Johnny LaRocca....page 419 "Johnny LaRocca... the one breeder I worked most closely with studying tegus. His tegus are the best I have seen produced anywhere except on my farm".

Purchased my Awesome Tegu from teguterra.com

Thanks, everybody. I really like the suggestion of the kiddie pool. I think I'll go to Walmart this weekend and see if I can find one real cheap. Maybe I can teach her to swim. In the meantime, she gets close supervision when she is on the porch so we can fish her out if she falls in the pool.
    Lin

1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon
    6.9.0 Bearded Dragons
    1.0.0 Florida Kingsnakes
    0.1.0 Cornsnakes
    0.2.0 Cats
    0.1.0 Dog

RIP Domino

Ha Ha...mine don't like the kiddie pool either. I bought one for my Burmese python and he likes to hang out in in while I clean his cage or just for a bit of exercise. I filled it up just a bit for the lizards one day and most of them hated it. But boy, I never knew a beardie could swim so fast!!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

lol...That's funny laurarfla! Some fast swimming Beardie's huh? I bet that was funny to watch too!!!

He learned from his friend and the most influential reptile breeder in America, Bert Langerwert. In Bert's newly published biography he has this to say about Johnny LaRocca....page 419 "Johnny LaRocca... the one breeder I worked most closely with studying tegus. His tegus are the best I have seen produced anywhere except on my farm".

Saphira, my 2 year old arg. Black and white can't swim either. I tried her a few times in the bath tub and she doggy paddled for a second then promptly sank to the bottom. She is quite healthy and very mobile everywhere except the water. She now has a phobia of the bathtub and gets her baths in the sink.

Maybe one of us should start a swimming class for Tegus!!!

my tegu is like that too, he loves to soak and take baths, but he cant swim in the pool ill try the kiddie pool thing too thanks guys
    1.0.0 Black and White Argentine Tegu
    1.0.0 Crested gecko
    2.1.0 Bearded Dragons