Thread: Housing two tegus in the same cage?

Default Housing two tegus in the same cage?

I currently have a Black and White Argentine tegu shes great really friendly and docile. My question regards another tegu at a pet shop I really like. He (could be she) is a Columbian tegu I really like him hes very friendly a little skittish but I think very tamable. My question is my tegu is in a 6' x 4' x 2' enclosure is it possible for two tegus to live together? I've seen pictures of people that have two basking together but are differing species good together? Is that a big enough space? Also to add on to the previous story he was at the pet shop I get my mice and came in with three others a red and argentine. They all lived together for a few months with there old owner and all got along. Hes now been alone for about 2 - 3 months since the red and argentine got bought which makes me feel bad and want him to go to a good home (Me) . But my tegu is 2 1/2 feet with a body length of about 18" and the columbian is 2 feet with a body of about a foot. Do you guys think mine might hurt it because shes a fair bit bigger?

I appreciate all imput

thanks

diff tegu. so i would keep separate. even if same species just safer!!

Ditto Boozer,..you never know what could happen. Usually if they're about the same size its less of an issue. But thats never a quarantee, the Columbian may turn out to be too skittish for the B&W. Which in turn maybe intimidating to the Columbian,..not to say it can't be done. You just don't know what might happen. So sometimes its better to be on the safe side and not do it. I can't say that I haven't done it (with different species), you can always try a supervised meet and greet for a lil while and see how they do. But you still have to worry about what might happen when they are alone. Plus the fact that BWs hybernate, Columbians don't.

I don't know if that helps you at all but its just one of those things.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

i have had two males together since they were hatchlings (a b&w and a red) and they got a long great for a about a year and then they started nipping at each other and acting territorial. the red one (Bubbles) has got quite the attitude and he's always biting Flo's tail and stuff. One of these days Flo is gonna lay him out.
    So i'm working on getting him out of here because he wasn't mine to begin with.
    Argentine B&W Tegu 1.0.0 "Flo"
    Argentine Red Tegu 1.0.0 "Bubbles"
    Colombian Gold Tegu 0.0.1 "Skillet"
    Ball Python 1.0.0 "Djimon"
    Jungle Carpet Python 0.0.1 "Alucard"

R.I.P. Yoshi