Thread: blue tongued skink bedding

Default blue tongued skink bedding

ok i know that i should get a 4,2 tank but what bedding i think it should be aspen bedding is that right?
    R.I.P lizzie
    you will be missed

aspen shavings, not the slivers, sometimes slivers can get lodged in eyes and nostrils

my BTS loves aspen shavings.

but beware.. you may never see your skink again.

they burrow in it like 23.5 hours a day...lol

-Jordan K
    0.0.1. Barred Tiger Salamander
    1.0.0. Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0.0. Short-Tailed Betta
    0.0.1. Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee Tarantula)

I have a blue tongue skink aswell right now hes on the reptile aspen shavings which are soft. Not the sliver type for rodents like freexskate mentioned. The only thing with aspen shavings are they're very dry and will make it somewhat difficult for your BTS to shed. An alternative is cypress mulch which will up the humidity and allow for easier shedding. I like it alot better (it just looks nicer) unfortunately its not an option for me because Kabal my BTS likes to eat it. So instead hes in aspen shavings with two hides 1 is his house the other hide is under a heating pad and is his humid hide. I put cypress mulch in it when hes shedding and it turns into a humid hide and helps him shed. Just a suggestion if you decide to use aspen shavings, makes for ALOT easier sheds.

yeah definitely what tegu T said,

sorry, i forgot to mention that having humid hides like that makes the shedding a lot easier.

trying to constantly mist aspen shavings is pretty much useless, lol, you'll get carple tunnel before you up the humidity any.

my guy's humid hide is a large tupperware with a hole in it, filled with a peat moss/eco-earth (compressed coconut fiber) mixture. it works quite nicely.

=]

-Jordan K

Question

ok so will aspen bedding be ok but with a humidity hide?

and what is the sliver typ?
    R.I.P lizzie
    you will be missed

the aspen shavings are the thin, curly, potato chip looking pieces of aspen, very soft to the touch.

the other type is like very finely chipped mulch with tiny bits of sharply shaped aspen.

the type you want is the one i mentioned first.

in my opinion anyways.

the other kind could possibly (small chance, but not worth the rist) get lodged in a burrowing skink's eye or nostril and cause infection.

good luck =]

-Jordan K

Yes adam aspen shavings are fine as long as like freexskate said the shavings are soft to the touch. Just look for the aspen shavings in bags made by reptile companys ( the one I use is Zoo meds aspen snake bedding, I used to have a Florda Kingsnake) just dont use rodent brands because they will be the sharp kind. As for the humid hide put either cypress mulch like I suggest or moss like freexskate says, either way it'll be fine. Do you need any other questions about your blue tongues needs? If not, good luck.

-Taylor

thx

but how will you make a humidty hide i know how to make the humidity but what about the hide
    Last edited by adam chalkley; 08-25-2009 at 11:19 AM.
    R.I.P lizzie
    you will be missed