Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 125 gallon w african cichlids

Default 125 gallon w african cichlids

Had south americans for a while and just a few days ago got 13 african cichlids.

Nice.I miss having a fish tank :(.My fish tank turned into a lizard enclosure .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Nice looking setup, I'm a fish nut that recently fell in love with Tegus. Anyway, I breed African and South American cichlids and set up/maintain public/private fish tanks for a living.

In your tank I see Labidochromis caeruleus, Sciaenochromis fryeri, Nimbochromis venustus, Melanochromis auratus, Metriaclima estherae, Cyphotilapia frontosa, Tropheus duboisi, and it looks like another Tropheus species.

Here is a picture of a 220 all male that I've got as a show tank, since most of my stuff is in my basement in use as breeder tanks. This tank I set up recently and am running an 50 gallon wet/dry and a FX5 on it. I'll probably stock it completely full sometime in September when I can get a lot of high quality fish for a good price. Sorry for the shabby picture since my digital camera is broken at the moment all I have is my phone.

6'x2'x3' AGA

This is a tank I just set up yesterday for a client it's a 240G Acrylic 8'x2'x2' complete with x2 Megaflow overflows, 50 gallon wet/dry and Compact Fluorescent Coralife Aqualights.

If anyone ever wants to talk fish let me know
    Last edited by ChrisMaac; 08-21-2009 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Uploading Pictures

Is that a baby Frontosa I see in there? If so, I hope you know that sucka will get bigger than the rest of the fish is there! Yeah, I miss having a fish tank. I' had fish (mainly cichlids) for over 20 years. I enjoyed having Midas cichlids the most.
    0.0.1 Blue tegu
    2.3 Leopard geckos
    1.1 American pit bull terriers
    A lot of Madagascar Hissers

Yeah . I have a demasoni, venustus, yellow lab, electric blue ahli, kenyii, snow white sucolofi, red zebra, frontosa, albino zebra, a duboisi. I'm waiting on 1 more electric blue johanni. There is maybe a few fish I missed as I am not familiar with africans at all and this is my first tank and I figured I would just go real big. I have 2 fluvals 405s but I can't seem to get them to work. It might be the tubes or something but Idk it also could be the impeller it's hard to tell and with most pet stores switching to the rena's and what not it's hard to find out so I dont know what I'm gonna do with the filter situation I have a smaller filter running right now and it is ok for now. What do you guys think about my set up?

I had a huge oscar that was the coolest fish ever.
    1 leopard gecko
    1 gargoyle gecko
    125 gallon fish tank african cichlids
    1 red tegu
    1 jeweled lacerta
    1 western hognose
    1 coastalxjungle carpet python
    1 argentine red tail boa
    1 braziliain rainbow boa
    2 lightening blue geckos
    1 tokay gecko
    hundreds of roaches

Yeah, I don't know what could be wrong with your fluvals. I never used them. Idk if there like power filters (that's what I used), but you have to have a certain amount of water in it to get it to work or maybe someting isn't hooked up properly like a tube. But again, that frontosa is going to get over 12 inches and will feed on smaller fish so watch him as it gets bigger. Plus they're nocturnal. And the Mbunas (labs and zebras) are very aggressive fish and territorial. So you should get a few more rocks and caves for them. Also, what is your ph level? Let me know how they're getting along.
    0.0.1 Blue tegu
    2.3 Leopard geckos

yeah I might need to get a few more hiding spots for them. They seem to be all getting along fine. I put them al in at the same time so that no fish would already have a territory or anything. I might build a big rock tower like the guy has in the pictures above. My ph is probably somewhere around 7.8 - 8.2
    i have not checked it yet.
    1 leopard gecko
    1 gargoyle gecko
    1 red tegu
    1 jeweled lacerta
    1 western hognose
    1 argentine red tail boa
    1 braziliain rainbow boa
    2 lightening blue geckos
    1 tokay gecko
    hundreds of roaches

I would absolutely recommend getting more hiding places, it doesn't really matter what they are but it is very important. I like to use rocks because I strive to make my tanks look as natural as possible but anything will suffice.

I would also work on getting a lot more fish- with a tank like a 125 you're going to have much more success by stocking it very full when dealing with africans.

Are you sure that's true? I would love to get more fish but everything I've read and heard about fish is about 1 inch of fish to 1 gallon of water and if I already have 13 fish when they grow up they are going to get between 8 and 10 inches and by that time there will be so many big fish there won't be a lot of room and the ammonia will build up so fast. I could be completely wrong and I'm hoping I am because I would like to get a peacock or two, another duboisi, and an electric blue johanni.
    1 leopard gecko
    1 gargoyle gecko
    1 red tegu
    1 jeweled lacerta
    1 western hognose
    1 argentine red tail boa
    1 braziliain rainbow boa
    2 lightening blue geckos
    1 tokay gecko
    hundreds of roaches

Yeah, that's how I look at it. PLease don't overstock your tank. 13 fish should be enough.
    0.0.1 Blue tegu
    2.3 Leopard geckos