Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Started building today

Thank you 4horse. Yeah, my friend calls it the lizard Condo. Bobby (tegu) has been checking it out everyday when we are done working on it. Had a bit of a problem with some of the side supports so had to redo them today. Talk about frustrating.... Hoping to get the sanding done and the linoleum and sides on that section tomorrow. Only gonna have one helper then, the other has to work.

We were also talking about starting the "viewing section" tomorrow. Its gonna be 2 foot tall. solid sides and back and not sure what kind of doors I'll be putting on it, but the complete front will be for viewing and doors. That section should go fairly quickly. I'll probably wait to decide what kind of doors I want until all three sections are there.

The top (lighting area) will be similar to the bottom in that it will also be 1 foot. All the lighting will be inside the cage and it will have a solid top.

The three sections will be connected using hinges on all four sides. If/when I move again I'll be able to pull the pins on the hinges to separate the sections. So I won't need to worry about stripping screws taking it apart and putting it together. Each section will easily fit through any door so thats good too. Also with hinges I can change the lights by tipping up the top instead of climbing into the cage.
    Last edited by wintermagic; 08-27-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Just another update. Its going very slowly. For some of the things we are trying to do we don't really have the right tools for. One section we took apart and are redoing because we didn't like it.

Bobby is running around thinking this is great. He's got the whole room to play in. He's not gonna be to happy with me when he gets stuck in this cage. lol. I'll probably make a ramp for him to get in and out with. Hopefully he doesn't get too attached to his hiding places.

He was funny yesterday when we moved the huge bean bag he was sleeping under. He hissed at my friend and just laid there and went back to sleep. I cuddled him for a bit and he went behind the chair under his cat bed pillow. I call it his but it was laying there and he adopted it as one of his favorite spots. I'll likely toss it in his cage when we're done.

Its funny when people are in that room they ask. Where's Bobby? before sitting anywhere. We always double check before sitting anywhere in there but especially with the bean bag and that chair.

I'm so glad ya'll look around for him before ya'll sit! I'd hate to see a post about a squashed Tegu!!! I have to watch my dogs when Tank is out roaming around...I sure don't want my 165 lb. Great Dane to accidently step on her!!!
    The most experienced breeder of B & W Arg. and Red Tegu's--Johnny LaRocca!

He learned from his friend and the most influential reptile breeder in America, Bert Langerwert. In Bert's newly published biography he has this to say about Johnny LaRocca....page 419 "Johnny LaRocca... the one breeder I worked most closely with studying tegus. His tegus are the best I have seen produced anywhere except on my farm".

Purchased my Awesome Tegu from teguterra.com

By the way, it sounds like it's going to be a great enclosure. I really like the hinges idea! Also, I used acrylic sheeting for the viewing doors. I got a great deal on the sheeting as they were wanting to discontinue it.

What a spoiled Tegu you have!
    The most experienced breeder of B & W Arg. and Red Tegu's--Johnny LaRocca!

He learned from his friend and the most influential reptile breeder in America, Bert Langerwert. In Bert's newly published biography he has this to say about Johnny LaRocca....page 419 "Johnny LaRocca... the one breeder I worked most closely with studying tegus. His tegus are the best I have seen produced anywhere except on my farm".

Purchased my Awesome Tegu from teguterra.com

Hey, nice looking (so far) enclosure. Some tips/pointers:

1 - Don't start construction of anything until you have it all figured out. Dimensions, materials, heating, lighting, location, etc. As you are learning, redoing things are costly and time consuming.

2 - Always go as big as you can, no matter the species. I know space constraints can be a hindrance, as well as compensating for larger collections, but space to do whatever a given animal would like to do is a prerequisite in any enclosure. 8x4x4 is a decent size, I'm not griping you on that, but wouldn't a 12x4x4 be even nicer?

3 - Framework is not always necessary. I have 3 stacked enclosures, each 8x4x2. Constructed out of 5/8" melamine, there is no need for framing reinforcements. This stuff is strong.

Keep us posted, I'm curious as to the completion of this project!

Chris
    0.1.0 Arg B&W tegu
    1.1.0 Redfoot tortoises
    1.1.0 Spiny tail monitors (red)
    1.0.0 Burmese python
    0.1.0 Yellow anaconda
    1.2.0 Pastel Ball pythons
    1.1.0 Spider Ball python
    1.0.0 Bumblebee Ball python
    0.1.0 Lemonblast Ball python
    0.1.0 Het Albino Ball python
    0.1.0 Ball python
    1.0.0 Ornate monitor
    0.0.2 Burmese Mountain Tortoises

Sorry its been so long for an update. I've learned so much on this project. Yeah I made some huge design flaws on it but they are getting straightened out. Some I'll just have to live with.

I agree with you mumps. your first point is so true!!! I've definitely learned that lesson. And yep I went as big as I could on it. My living room is actually too small for it but oh well.

For my first huge project.... yeah its gonna turn out great. I'm definitely no carpenter. If I could start completely over there are quite a few things I would change.

I'll have more time this weekend to go through the pics to post. My daughter is now involved on it so I doubt I'll ever sell or trade it. I'm sentimental that way. My camera has been going a lot lately. She's learning to do everything in there really: measuring, cutting, drilling, wiring. She's a lucky girl.

I'll put more pictures up this weekend but this one shows the door cut into the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Holy crap man!!! Severe overkill with the 2x4's. Looks well constructed though.

I used 2x2's for the frame and 1/4" plywood skin. I have 2 stacked, weighing probably 800 lbs.
    1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas
    1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon
    0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Ball Python, 0.0.1 Corn

LOL I know that now. At the time I was thinking three sections. so needed top and bottom on each of the three. the upright ones were gonna show so was gonna try to incorporate that into the finished look. Well plans change when you get people that know what they're doing involved.... soooo. Yeah I've had a lot of problems.
    On the good side, its not gonna fall down. hehehehe.

If it catches on fire it'll burn for a long time!!!!
    1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas
    1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon
    0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Ball Python, 0.0.1 Corn