Thread: Stop the poop!

Default Stop the poop!

Heya,
    I enjoy letting me tegu out to wander about, but every - and I mean every - time that hes out of the cage for more than 5-10 minutes he will defaecate to some extent. This may range from a full-blown poop or simply voiding some liquid, but it does happen every time. Naturally this is putting me off letting him out. He doesnt do the same thing in his cage; it only happens when hes released.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how/if its even possible to prevent this? Anyone had any success with potty training a tegu? Anyone know WHY he would be doing this? I figured it might be some kind of territorial act but havent read anything about this happening.

How often after feeding do you take out your tegu? None of the tegus I have do this. I generally hold them for awhile before the daily feeding. Only one has ever had a bowel movement while outside it's enclosure, and that was after holding it for about 5 hours.

I'd try feeding in the evening so you can hold it throughout the day. Maybe watch for it to have a bowel movement, then bring it out and see if it does it again. If it does it's possible it's a fear reaction. It may be tame but a sudden noise or movement could trigger a tiny panic responce.

Just ideas, let me know what you think.

Rick - Admin

Well, after finding out that the reason he was peeing on me was due to me handling him too soon after eating, I now only let him out before a meal. In most circumstances I will check that he has actually pooped already as well. Ill then let him wander about, keeping an eye on him, and inevitably after a short while he will pee again. I would really be surprised if it was a fear reaction, as it happens even when I keep away from him.

Im a bit puzzled by it really :/ Heh.

That is rather odd. You have other animals, so I assume they get to be out from time to time as well. Perhaps your Tegu is smelling them and just trying to cover this smell with his. This is completely theory, I have never personally seen this done. You can try to test this theory by not holding any other animal the day before him, clean your hands normally before holding him, make sure you do it in the evening and don't feed him prior, wait for him to make a bowel movement and then give him a couple minutes to relax, take him to a room or area of the house that no other pet goes to and let him wander for a few.

I'm very interested in the outcome.

Rick - Admin

Ill have to try different things out I guess, heh The tegu actually wanders the hallway where none of the other animals go, because everything else in my room is too close together and liable to be contaminated if he poos/pees there (I have wood floors and...yeah, it travels pretty far :S) My beardie on the other hand can be trusted to clamber about in my room as its very rare that she will poop outside of her cage (and also it obviously contains less water). I was curious as to whether or not this was some attempt to mark territory, but again Im a little dubious as I have never heard an account of it, and its not done after scenting a certain place or anything. Just as he toddles about he will suddenly just stop, pee, and go on his way :S

Ill let you know if I find any solution to this...you will hear my cheering from across the ocean

Did you find out what the issue was? Liz.

I havent as yet no - I have just been limiting his "free" time, replacing him back in his cage for a while before taking him out again. I think it may just be uncertainty of his new surroundings; I have to follow him around to make sure he doesnt get into any trouble (its a big family house), and so this combined with the strangeness of the rooms he finds himself in may be causing it. I think getting him used to being out and about will help alot - he wasnt really let out while he was at the store I dont think, so he probably isnt used to wide open spaces.

You half way to house breaking your Tegu and you didn’t even know it!!! You see they hate to defecate in their enclosure and if you take them out the same time every day quite often he/she might wait to get out to go poo. My tegu has an entire that he lives in yet he will scratch at the door to come out to go poo. He prefers the kitchen to go (my wife loves this ). If I am not around to let him out of his room he normally goes in the same spot and I have put paper down there.

Unfortunately my tegu does not like being outside but once he gets larger hopefully he will get over that and I will tale him out for a walk and poo. If you live in a cold area try taking him out and put him in the tub and let him go, the just flush the tub out. Or if the tub thing sounds weird to you (I have heard some people have issue with that) try putting paper down where he has gone before. He/she may find a favorite place. Good luck.

Tegus, like most any other creature, can indeed be stressed by new surrounding or large open areas. I have recently begun taking my tegu for short trips in a car. I do not want to 'teach' him that a car is safe when he is full size. Car rides are normal for vet runs, trips to the park, etc. and teaching a 3+ foot lizard it's ok can be a chore.

One of the adult tegus I used to "tegu sit" for while the owner was stationed overseas liked to ride, one didn't. Mine originally was a bit stressed, but keeping him secure and undercover worked to calm him. Little by little, over periods of time, I covered him less and less. The exposure he had to see outside the car made him a little timid. Sitting in the car, running but not moving has gotten him over this fear.

He now handles rides fine. He isn't stiff or scared, but I doesn't feel so comfortable enough yet to inspect the windows. I realize riding in a car isn't typical of a tegu to enjoy, but it wasn't typical for people or our other pets originally either. He is doing well in his progress.

He doesn't deficate in the car, as a matter of fact he has only deficated outside of his enclosure once since I had him and that was after being out for 5 or more hours (he has no way back into his enclosure unassisted), but each tegu (or any other creature) has different ways to cope with stress.

Keep us informed.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by tc5000
    You half way to house breaking your Tegu and you didn’t even know it!!! You see they hate to defecate in their enclosure and if you take them out the same time every day quite often he/she might wait to get out to go poo. My tegu has an entire that he lives in yet he will scratch at the door to come out to go poo. He prefers the kitchen to go (my wife loves this ). If I am not around to let him out of his room he normally goes in the same spot and I have put paper down there.

Unfortunately my tegu does not like being outside but once he gets larger hopefully he will get over that and I will tale him out for a walk and poo. If you live in a cold area try taking him out and put him in the tub and let him go, the just flush the tub out. Or if the tub thing sounds weird to you (I have heard some people have issue with that) try putting paper down where he has gone before. He/she may find a favorite place. Good luck.
    Heh, I hope that is the reason I dont have any issues with the pooping in the bath thing, but the problem is even if he has just gone recently he will still "pee" after a short while, expelling water on the floor. I dont know if this is a bowel movement or just a version of voiding in defense. Oh well. I can but experiement. Thanks guys and gals