Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squid...

Question Squid...

Hey I was just wandering if anyone would feed sea food to their tegu? and if they liked it?
    I was talking to one of the girls at LLL Reptile and she said she feeds her Tegu Shrimp, Squid (raw), steak filet(cooked) and a bunch of other left overs ..
    Has anyone else tried this? What was the result? any Sugestions on if its bad or not?

Shredder gets a lot of different things including Chicken Heart, liver, gizzard, egg, raw and hard boiled. grapes, strawberries, peach, plum, blue berries ,ground trukey she wont touch vegietables.. but loves her blue berries and fruit... just thought it would be fun to try something else...And its so fun seeing her reaction when she gets something new... Like feeding a baby sour things for the first time.. I swear she eats better than i do...:oops: Any other suggestions on fun things to feed them?

I feed my Tegu raw farm-raised catfish and she loves it! I was wondering about feeding shrimp and last night I read on another Tegu forum where a guy feeds his Tegu raw shrimp. So since I live near the Gulf Coast, and shrimp is always available I'm going to try feeding it to Tank, my female Tegu.

I would think that squid would be okay, but I'm a fairly new Tegu owner. Maybe someone else has tried it. I have fed my girl raw ground deer meat, and she loved it too! My husband is not too keen on me feeding his deer meat to a lizard though.

The only thing I would worry about is parasites. I don't know if shrimp or squid would even carry parasites though. I've also wanted to try crawfish, but since they are raised in muddy, marshy ares around here I don't know if that would be a good idea either....
    The most experienced breeder of B & W Arg. and Red Tegu's--Johnny LaRocca!

He learned from his friend and the most influential reptile breeder in America, Bert Langerwert. In Bert's newly published biography he has this to say about Johnny LaRocca....page 419 "Johnny LaRocca... the one breeder I worked most closely with studying tegus. His tegus are the best I have seen produced anywhere except on my farm".

Purchased my Awesome Tegu from teguterra.com

I haven't tried it. My daughter gave Bobby a fresh fish she caught the other day and he seemed to like it. It was freshwater fish though.

Quote Originally Posted by 4HORSE View Post
    I feed my Tegu raw farm-raised catfish and she loves it! I'm going to try feeding it to Tank, my female Tegu.
    I have fed my girl raw ground deer meat, and she loved it too! My husband is not too keen on me feeding his deer meat to a lizard though.
    The only thing I would worry about is parasites. r....

Ha ha Yeah im sure your husband didnt like that very much.. but she prolly enjoyed it! My worries was of the parasites in the shrimp and squid... if there are any.. let me know if Tank likes the shrimp... thanks for the replies

My family and I eat a lot of seafood. Once in awhile I give Finn some lightly cooked shrimp. She sometimes eats it and sometimes doesn't. But it hasn't hurt her. Same thing if I eat steak, I'll give her a little.
    As long as you try and give none staple foods in moderation then I'm sure there will be no problem.
    If I'm wrong please let me know.

Turbine
    0.1.0 Argentine B&W, Finn
    1.0.0 Blue Tegu. Digit (he's missing most of his toes)
    2.0.0 Bearded dragons, Biskkit and Cactzimo
    1.0.0 Super Pastel Ball Python, Atlas

NJ Shipwreck Divers: We dive colder,deeper and darker.

I give mine treats, too. But my husband gets bothered. If I try to take his shrimp for the tegus, he gets all mad. "This is people food, not animal food." To me, it's all the same. If you're spending money on food, you're spending money on food regardless of who eats it! He'll also say, "Don't feed my peaches (or cantaloupe, grapes, cherries, etc) to the animals." poor guy

I have given mine leftover pieces of food, but I pick through it. If I'm cutting raw chicken, I'll save them some, but not the fat blobs. If I have an extra fish fillet in a frozen pack, they can have it. I've even washed a piece of meat and cut off the seasoned side to give them leftover beef. I hate to waste food (which equals money), but I try to be careful and discerning too. I also try to balance everything out with feeding whole rodents or chicks twice a week.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

My husband will see a package of ground turkey or fish in the refrigerator and ask if that's what I'm cooking for supper. He gets a little snooty when I tell him, "no, that's for Tank" or "no that's for the dogs"! Lol!
    The most experienced breeder of B & W Arg. and Red Tegu's--Johnny LaRocca!

He learned from his friend and the most influential reptile breeder in America, Bert Langerwert. In Bert's newly published biography he has this to say about Johnny LaRocca....page 419 "Johnny LaRocca... the one breeder I worked most closely with studying tegus. His tegus are the best I have seen produced anywhere except on my farm".

Purchased my Awesome Tegu from teguterra.com

Talking

Wow thanks for all the input.. I guess ill just have to try it out, and see if she likes it... I might have to wait a while because she didnt come out of her hide all day yesterday, i think she is ready for sleepy time... :( But My Boyfriend definatly gets upset sometimes about Shredder eating better than we do I just try to spoil him just as much as i do shredder. Well maybe if i see her ill try to get a video of her eating these new things. Thanks everyone!

Thor loves it when I give him shrimp, but be careful shrimp has a naturally high sodium content, I give Thor two or three shrimp once or twice a month.
    www.myspace.com/christcody

1.0.0 Colombian Tegu (Thor)
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Montee)

Thank you CodynThor, If i do give shrimp to Shredder i will use it only as a treat.