Thread: Shed skin projects?

Default Shed skin projects?

Has anyone done anything creative with pieces of shed skin? Normally my 6yr old B&W Arg sheds little strips, but I have an unusually large patch from lower neck to start of tail that I kept from earlier in the year. I think it would be cool to have it embedded inside a coffee mug or something. I was just wondering if anyone else has had an idea of doing something decorative with a piece of skin.

I think that is an excellent idea !!

I do picture frames and they are all in my Snake room (now) from when they were babies till present. I absolutely love the look and you can get creative with it. Brings back good memories and it looks mosaic too.

I know its really morbid but you have to appreciate the scientific value of this:

after one of my reptiles die (lets hope that isn't for a VERY VERY long time) post necropsy I want to boil and bleach the bones, then piece it together like a fossil in a museum and have it encased.

I think it would be very interesting for one who is unfamiliar with reptilian anatomy/bone structure, not to mention it would look pretty cool, and after all (aside from companions) aren't keeping these guys suppose to be a learning experience?

like I said someone with an interest in biology will appreciate the idea, if anyone has done anything like this I want a picture. =D
    www.myspace.com/christcody

1.0.0 Colombian Tegu (Thor)
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Montee)

Then you'll like this page

http://www.artbyevolution.com/ This is our herp society pres and wildlife biologist. Cool projects. He has a colony of dermested beetles (sp?) and puts together all kinds of skeletons. I asked his advice to put together a really cool skelton, but waited too long and it was ruined. My UPS driver brought me the skeleton of a snake he had killed. Turns out it was a hognose that had eaten a frog and the frog skeleton was intact inside the intact snake skeleton. It was REALLY AWESOME!!! The guy thought it was a pygmy rattlesnake and killed it.

I save skins and giove them away to students and kids at community/educational events. They always want a 12ft Burm skin, but when he sheds it's a big, nasty, poopy mess.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I've done several things with tegu skins, but I certainly wouldn't recommend the cup idea. Unless you had the means to actually seal it with something like the clear acrylic they use for scientific mounts, the chances of contamination would be great (not only to the skin, but someone using the cup for drinking). Furthermore, the repeated heating and cooling would cause serious degredation of the skin.

I once donated a bunch of skin to a computer graphics programmer, they wanted a sample for either gaming texture graphics or for a background. Not sure what.

I also used it in hand-crafted picture frame as art.

But I think my favourite was in a "picture-box" frame, I used it as the container's background and "packing" material for a display of some Aiorouca juditeae (a small Pipid anuran from ~20-30 mya, Brasil) fossils I have.

Quote Originally Posted by tupinambis View Post
    I've done several things with tegu skins, but I certainly wouldn't recommend the cup idea.
    Well one thing I've done was put it in a scanner and now I have a tegu jpeg. Other then my pc desktop, maybe I could do something with the pattern. My girl keeps saying she's going to turn Gibson into a purse someday.:o
    http://supercharger-heaven.com/zarnach/gibsonskin.JPG