Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harness?

Default Harness?

I bought a Guinea Pig Harness for my Tegu, Mike. It fits him perfectly, I tried it on inside and I had no problem with it. It's safe, not too tight, and he can't get out if it ('Cuz I tried one for cats before and that doesn't work!)

The thing is, when I bring him outside, he freaks out! He runs everywhere (really really fast) so I was wondering if there's a way to get him used to the leash and harness? I know it's not a dog or a cat, but I'd like him to go outside once in a while ('cuz we bring our snakes out too). So, is there a way? Thanks!
    ★*·•·[ §ÞäŪkĨūū ]·•·*★

•~ 2 Leopard Geckos [KaRmEn & TaNk] •+• 1 Corn Snake [MeD] •+• 1 Bolivian Red Tail Boa [DaX] •+• 1 Bearded Dragon [SpIkE] •+• 1 Columbian Black and White Tegu [MiKe] ~•

I don't know how tame your Colombian is but if you let him free roam some where in the house (or if he lets you hold him) you can start there. Some where that he feels comfortable just to get use to having it on. Make sure he's some where that he can't crawl under or into anything and get the harness stuck or hung up on something. As for how he acts outside,..its normal all tegus go through it. It just takes some time for them to get use to being outside where everything constantly changes.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

It's a combination of being overwhelmed outside and then feeling caught by the harness.

He needs to be adjusted to one or the other. Try small amounts of time outside in a your arms in a towel. In the meantime, let him feel the harness around the house.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Thanks! Here are some pics of the 20 seconds he stayed outside haha!

★*·•·[ §ÞäŪkĨūū ]·•·*★

•~ 2 Leopard Geckos [KaRmEn & TaNk] •+• 1 Corn Snake [MeD] •+• 1 Bolivian Red Tail Boa [DaX] •+• 1 Bearded Dragon [SpIkE] •+• 1 Columbian Black and White Tegu [MiKe] ~•

Harnesses reminds me, I saw a reptile harness and on the package it said, ''...anoles...''

How do you get a harness on an anole?
    1.0.0. English Budgie (Peanut)
    1.0.0. Red-Eared Slider (Rocky)
    1.0.0. Bearded Dragon (Gomek)
    www.youtube.com/SnakeEyes223

Where did you buy your Guinea Pig Harness?

If you take your Tegu outside you should have the harness on him. They can get very squirmy and get away from you very quickly. It will take time for him to get used to the outside, if he ever does.

We have a 5 year old 3 foot male Cuban Rock Iguana who is terrified of the outside. Gaping, death rolls, all the good stuff!!
    1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas
    1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon
    0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Ball Python, 0.0.1 Corn

What I did with all four off my Tegus when they were babies was I put on two shirts.I put on the harness and put the Tegu in between the two shirts ( one so I don't get scratched up and the other one for them to hide under )and a belt around the shirts so they don't fall out and than dangel around on the harness.Most off the time they just stuck their heads out but still felt save because they could hide in my shirt with most off their body.When you go out side with your Tegu sit down and put him on your lap or chest and just hold him.I'm surprised that he didn't try to run to you and bite you.That happend to me twice lol.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by HernandosMom View Post
    Where did you buy your Guinea Pig Harness?
    I bought it at a pet store, this is the exact one I have

★*·•·[ §ÞäŪkĨūū ]·•·*★

Another thought...I took my tegu into petco (in a cat carrier) and tried on different harnesses that I liked. I ended up buying a matching ferret harness and leash. It fits the females, but my red male is too pudgy!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets