Thread: Goodbye, Domino

Hybrid View

Default Goodbye, Domino

I type this with tears in my eyes. Domino is at the vet so impacted I am going to have to put her down. She has been eating cypress mulch and passed some after an enema yesterday. The vet did a barium Xray this morning and says she is so full her only chance is with surgery. I have already spent over $400 this week and surgery will probably cost in the thousands which I don't have. She was not fed on cypress mulch so she was eating it on purpose. She ate rocks last summer by the pool, but she was able to pass those. I meet with the vet later today to make the final decision and will let everyone know. I doubt I will get another tegu anytime soon. My husband has been out of work over a year and he wants to be sure he has a good job before we get another large lizard. I really love this one.
    Lin

1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon
    6.9.0 Bearded Dragons
    1.0.0 Florida Kingsnakes
    0.1.0 Cornsnakes
    0.2.0 Cats
    0.1.0 Dog

RIP Domino

Lin, I am very sorry you have to make this decision. I've been there before. Its always a travesty to lose a pet that you love. There are pet owners and pet lovers, we definitely love our pets, and mourn them when its their time to go. Just remember that you loved Domino and gave her your very best. So sorry, but try and remember the good times.

...Jefroka

Oh, Lin...I'm so, so, sorry! I know how hard that must be! You and Domino have been through a lot.

It's so hard to lose a pet. You are in my thoughts and prayers today...I have real tears for you, my friend.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I'm sooooo sorry to hear that.Have you tried the cod liver oil or all natural peanut butter ? please don't give up yet.My baby female hybrid was so impacted ( from a rubber door stopper cap ) that she was impacted for a month.My vet sad my Tegu needed some surgery, too, but the day we supose to go and get it done she pooped it out.Since she was impacted for so long there were times that I was so scared that I would loose her.Please wait one more day so we can talk later.I have to go to work now but I'll check my pm's later.I'm also going to get a cell phone now.I'm going to give you my number later on so you can call me and we can talk over the phone iff you like.Please don't give up yet.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

How long has he been impacted? Our male Blue also eats mulch and other things. Last year we almost lost him, he hadn't pooped in over a month, we didn't feed him for 3 weeks (he would only throw it up). After cod liver oil, mineral oil (administed by the vet with a tube) and daily very warm baths, he finally passed it. I had him living on his vinyl flooring for many months. 2 weeks ago I added finely ground aspen and he seems to like it. He pushed a lot of it into a pile and made a burrow.

DON'T GIVE UP!!!!
    1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas
    1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon
    0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Ball Python, 0.0.1 Corn

We don't know how long she has been impacted. She has never been a good eater, but she really took a turn for the worse on Tuesday night so I rushed her to the vet on Wednesday morning. He said the amount of impaction is horrible and I am going to see the Xray at 4:30 today. He said it is not a few pieces, but her stomach is full of mulch. She opens her mouth like she is gasping for breath. I would like to try the cod liver oil thing. I worked in the health food business for over 13 years and I saw miracles happen. I fear that cypress mulch is sharp and she may have stomach or intestinal punctures. If, by some miracle, I can get her through this, she will never live in cypress mulch again. But I am not expecting good news. Thank you, everybody, for all the kind words of understanding.
    Lin

1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon
    6.9.0 Bearded Dragons
    1.0.0 Florida Kingsnakes
    0.1.0 Cornsnakes
    0.2.0 Cats
    0.1.0 Dog

RIP Domino

keep us all informed.
    You can contact me at

myspace.com/only1boozer