Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sephy threw up!

Exclamation Sephy threw up!

Urk!

I'm spazzing. I don't know if this is normal or not. I got Sephy out today and gave him a short bath. He pooped in it. Then I warmed him up and decided to try and feed him.

He wasn't very interested in eating, but then he began acting a little strange and sure enough, he threw up!

It was a long, thin piece of ... stuff. That looked like undigested cricket parts.

I know that sometimes snakes will regurgitate things they can't digest, like egg shells.

Is this why he did it, or is he sick? Should I start panicking?

I've included a picture of what it looked like. If you're squeamish don't look!

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...y/DSC_3484.jpg

Hello Rachella,

Where did the crickets come from?

The local pet store (Petsmart). I got about 35 of them. My beardies ate most of them but I kept a few for Sephy. He ate two on Sunday and three yesterday.

Did you see the tegu throw these crickets up? If so, that is odd. Does the tegu look bloated?

Yeah, I did. He started stretching his mouth and moving his head in a manner which told me he was getting ready to throw up. Then he started backing up and there it went.

I don't -think- he looks bloated? If anything, I'm afraid he looks thin.

He's a picture I just took of him.
    http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...y/DSC_3485.jpg

He hasn't eaten anything today, but I got some lean raw turkey and I'm going to see if he'll be interested in it after it gets closer to room temperature.

So, I take it that throwing up isn't a normal thing for Tegus? :(

Hey Rachella, I'm sorry this happened.

I would get some baby food, chicken maybe and let Sephy lick it off the spoon and a give him just a couple of drops of pedialyte (sp?) or Gatorade.

The first page to this thread has very good info on regurging:

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...=regurgitating

See how it goes. You may have to take a stool sample to the vet.

If it's parasites and I don't want to scare you than you will need a stool sample.

But, read this on the carnivores:

http://www.anapsid.org/vomiting.html

HEllo Rachella.Angelrose gave yo usome really goos advice... I did see the pic of your tegu and yo uare right, he is thin.. Actually, he is very thin...Cane he walk ok? Does he use his back legs to pick his butt up off the ground when he walks. or does he drab his back end... If so, he may have a calcium deficiency. However, I don't believe, that would necessarilly cause the vomitting.

Have you had him checked for parasites. It is possible your tegu may have parasites. I would recommened, if you have not done so, that a qualified vet check a fecal sample for parasites... Actually, it is a good idea that tegus get an check up when you first get them. It is not a necessity, but it is a good practice.

Rob

Sorry about my typo. I meant Angelrose gave you some really good advice... goos advise makes no sense...lol

Hello Angel!

Me too. :( He seems otherwise healthy. He's active, fell asleep on top of my head of all places today for about a half hour.

I'll go out and get some chicken baby food as well as either Pedialyte or Gatorade. Hopefully he'll be interested in it! should I still try and see if he'll eat the turkey?

Thank you very much for the link!

I honestly can't afford taking a stool sample to the vet just yet and probably won't be able to until next week. Hopefully this will clear up by then.