Thread: My New Ornate Horned Frog, Lucky

Default My New Ornate Horned Frog, Lucky

Hello again,
    Well, I'm back with a new frog.. Well, not that new..maybe 2-3 months.. It is a baby irnate horned frog. It was mis marked i nthe pet sotre as a ceratophyrs cranwelli. It is not, it is a ceratophyrs ornata. Teh cranwelli's are the general horned frog you see in most pet stores. The ornates are more rare, have incredible coloring and hav a vicious appetite.

I recognized that it was an ornate and I know the girl at the pet sotre so she gave it to me for the price the price that it was.

Hence my lucky find, the frog's name is Lucky.. This little guy is a vicious little fat ball. He lunges and attacks everything. He has attached hisi water dish, the tongs, my fingers etc..lol ..A really healthy and great specimen..

rob

He looks like he really means business.

I love the way your photos are always full of frog dirt.

lol thanks.......he was probably palnning an attack as a snapped the pics...

and yes, lol,,there always seems to be frog dirt, well , eco earth, all over the frogs, they love to burrow and hide and play in it..

Actually, I could get some great pictures if I took them out of the tanks and cleaned them up... However, in my many years of frog keeping, I have learned one of the main secrets of success.....A stress free frog, barring no other probelms, will be a healthy and happy frog. Not handling these animals is a key factor for successful frog keeping. Ergo, the frogs lead stress free lives so they will eat and do everything they would do naturally and uninterupted..

Rob

october, sounds like my kind of frog ..lol

Congrats!
    I love the colors and his eyes do look intense ...

I'm learning and taking a real interest in frogs ...from you! I saw this show the other day while in passing and it spoke about a 9inch frog in Ausralia (I think) originally brought over to kill some kind of bug/warm in the crops but it got out of hand. They multiplied tooooo fast and soooo many at a time and this frog ate E v e r y t h i n g in it's path ...gobbled down mice backwards ...lol.
    Anyway ...Your ears must have been ringing!

Ah, must be the beloved Cane Toad, Bufo marinus! We have them in Florida as well because of the same stupid experiment. In Australia they are the equivalent of the Burmese python in the Everglades.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets