Thread: got a new black emporer scorpion

Default got a new black emporer scorpion

a girl came into my work begging someone to take him since her and her ex had just broken up. so of course, i had to take him in!

anyone have experience or know much about them? or any general facts i should know?
    1.0.1-tegus 0.0.1-iguana 0.0.1-beardie 0.1-RTB 0.0.1 Kingsnake 0.1-potbellied pig 3.2-cats 2.1-dogs 1.1-ferrets 0.1-Quaker 2.1-Zebra finches 1.1 conures 0.1-rat 0.0.1-emperor scorpion

Hmm...

They're a burrowing species.. a good tank would be a 10 gallon with about 8" of Peat/vermiculite and a small hide (half log) in the corner.
    A small water dish so he/she can bend over and drink.
    Just a very simple setup

As far as food.. crickets, roaches, pinkies, meal worms, etc.. just make sure their size is appropiate.

An emperor (P. Imperator) can attain 6" +, they are the bulkiest scorpion and their pincers can draw blood.

Their venom.. while very weak, can cause pain, swelling, and a red area which will take a while to dissipate, of course, this varies person to person.. I myself have little to no reaction at all, just a sharp pain and that's it.. but I wouldn't reccomend testing it
    As it's possible you're allergic, or if nothing else, suffer a very bad reaction to it.

Handling.. they are a very calm species, but this varies on the individual.. My friend's female is very calm and slow moving, but is more likely to hurt someone, mine is very skitterish, but I'd trust her as far as not stinging.. she would much rather run away.

How to pick them up? If she/he is acting up.. pick them up by the section right below the stinger.. that is safest.
    However, that aggravates them to no end.. if you want them to get used to you.. and see you as just another branch rather than a possible threat.. then scoop your hand (Make a cup with your hand) and put it under the scorpion, the scorpion may be spooked the first times you do this, but it'll quickly latch on and go back to normal..
    Do that method, only if you're sure of it's attitude.. I reccomend placing your hand in the terraria, handling it often.. to make it sure of you.

Scorpions are not bright, and I'm not sure how long their memory is, but if nothing else, they do come to realize what is and isn't a threat, the same way they find out what and what isn't prey.. poking it, and seeing what it does.. It, being you. You may suffer a few pinches, but little else.. just don't react to it and don't tug your hand away.

If you're envenomated.. replace the scorp, wash your hands, and just keep it clean, there's not much you can do.
    If the pain continues longer than a day, and the affected area is swollen and purple or the like.. Go to the Emergency room, because you just suffered a highly adverse reaction.

There's a site.. Arachnoboards.com which can offer you more advice and will even give you reports of what others have experienced from this scorp.

Good luck.

thanks for the info!

i really don't plan on handling or messing with him at all. but it's good to know that if i ever do then i will know how to do it.

are they communal animals? do you think i should i get him a friend? do you think topsoil is an okay substrate? his previous owners were using potting soil with those little white ball things, and they don't seem safe to me, so i was thinking topsoil instead
    1.0.1-tegus 0.0.1-iguana 0.0.1-beardie 0.1-RTB 0.0.1 Kingsnake 0.1-potbellied pig 3.2-cats 2.1-dogs 1.1-ferrets 0.1-Quaker 2.1-Zebra finches 1.1 conures 0.1-rat 0.0.1-emperor scorpion

The white balls are one of two things, Ground perlite, or fertilizer.. while the fertilizer, containing nitrogen as it does.. may not be good for him.. but the perlite is fine, they won't ingest the durt anyways.. I use potting soil *shrug*
    It's not a big issue if you rinse it out a few times first in a collander/strainer

Top soil is fine.. though to be honest, you'll have to wash that out too
    And Peat/potting soil holds together a bit better from my experiences.

As far as communal, you are indeed in luck.. they are one of the very few communal species.. People will commonly keep them in trios, and you can even mix them with Forest Scorps, though, sometimes that can lead to fights, so Emps are your best bet .
    Just be sure to have them all about the same size, girth isn't a big issue.

You can keep maybe 2 adults to a 10 gallon and 5 to a 20 gallon.

Good luck.