Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snake myth

Of course milk snakes are so named for drinking the milk of cows. And how about those snakes that bite their tails to make a wheel and roll down hills? There's a bunch...if you kill a rattlesnake, the head won't really die until sunset.

No offense intended, but my family on both sides is from rural south Georgia. I'm a freak in my family because 1) I waited until I was 23 to get married 2) I keep reptiles as pets. :lol:
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

LOL mine too. I am from Tifton,GA and They hate the fact that I have a snake. They want to kill it soo bad....WITH A HO! LOL thats the way its done. And my Grandmother lives in the City part of Tifton, So there really isnt that many snakes. But her yard is covered with moth balls.LOL. She always tells me that I will wake up one day with that "thang" wrapped around my neck.

HAHA! My family's from Glennville. It's always, "How can you sleep in the house with those thangs? Aren't you afraid they'll eat one of your young-uns?" LOL This is usually followed by a story about how someone killed a snake, someone educating me about the rattlesnake not dying until sunset, or the recent trip to the rattlesnake roundup. Bleck. Of course, they're not really surprised because, "Laura always did want to hang around outside with all those nasty dogs, pigs, and cows."

Whenever we go visit and eat at one of the few restaurants in town, everyone stares at us constantly like we are complete foreigners. It's so funny. We're just a normal family of four except that my 15yo has that emo look and we don't have any accent because we live in central FL.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

LOL, Well my folks are Black, but im mixed and I look Puerto Rican and My brother Looks white, But my sister looks Mexican. So when my grandmother wants to take us to "HOME TOWN COUNTRY BUFFET" everybody stares at us too. So I understand that feeling. I just stare back at them. My family does the same thing. Its so funny. I just tell myself that they are just ignorant to the facts. They don't understand. But I have gotten a few of my family members to actually hold my snake and tarantula.(the younger ones of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
    I have a good one. My grandmother always told me to leave king snakes alone because if you make them mad they will chase you or worse.......You will find them in your house one day......... :!:
    ha ha when my grandma found out i was breeding kingsnakes she said that they will bite their way through the cage to try and bite my neck in my sleep!!

i dont kno why she said neck, that probably is another myth that ill hear about later!

Another sort of uninformed myth is that you can tell how old a rattle snake is by how many segments are in its rattle. Of course this can't be a measure as they can fall off as they get old and they could shed more than once in a year causing another segment to form. I was in a gas station here in Arizona and there was a dead dried rattlesnake on the counter. I heard the woman telling some people at the counter that it was 7 years old because it had 7 segments in its rattle. I just had to roll my eyes, oh brother. Of course that isn't even as bad as some myths about snake aggression. I took some pictures of a rattlesnake( the pics on the arizona herping thread) and I was quite close to the snake but it was never aggressive and never even rattled because I wasn't threatening to it. I have been rattled at but only when the snake was startled by my movement, and even then they never struck at me because I wasn't trying to mess around with them. The amount of missinformation passed down through the generations is unbelivable.

Another myth that seems to be quite true.
    Rattle snakes are attracted to alcohol