Thread: putting a red tegu and savannah together...

Hybrid View

Default putting a red tegu and savannah together...

I would like to be able to house my red tegu and my savannah together in the same enclosure. my red is fairly social. he loves walking around. he isnt a huge fan of being touched though. the savannah is much less social so far. we had them a few feet from each other on the ground, and there wasn't to much posturing, they just sat there. not even sniffing the air. is this the best way to get them comfortable with each other? this was done in a neutral enviroment. both are about the same size. 3 1/2 feet plus. the savannah is a little bulkier, but the red is longer. has anyone had succes keeping these two in the same enclosure?

for refrence, the enclosure I want to put them in is an open air enclosure 6'x4' with about a foot and half deep of mulch. I would have to add a water basin for the savannah as he likes to soak while taking a dump.

any suggestions? I was just planning on working daily to get them acclimated to each other and see where it goes from there.

heres the savannah...

and heres the red...

no need for the pics, I know. I just like showing them off.

LOL, Geez! I love those pics !! Sooooo darn adorable ....

Okay, I definitely would not house them together because they have two different types of husbandry needs ....the Sav comes from hot/dry
    Here is a good read and just scroll down to the 'Housing' part:

http://www.anapsid.org/savannah.html

When I had my Sav, I let him and my tegus roam all together and ate in the same 'community' basking area I had. They got along great ...climbed on each others back and so forth but they could not 'live' together because of the different needs.

The Sav is going to need an equally big enclosure tho' and they love to hide under things. They're on the shy side and only really come out to hunt for food.

No it's a bad idea

1- Argentine Tegus come from argentine. Savannah monitor near from africa, a completely different continent

2-Tegus and monitor do not have the same temperament.

3-They do not see each other naturally.

4-a 6x4feet enclosure is too small for both of them. You would have to take in consideration that each other need their private space. You would need a 12feetx4 feet enclosure.

For both of your animal health, it would recommand not to house them together, even if they are "friendly".
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Default housing a tegu with a savannah

Quote Originally Posted by Ben3233 View Post
    No it's a bad idea

1- Argentine Tegus come from argentine. Savannah monitor near from africa, a completely different continent

2-Tegus and monitor do not have the same temperament.

3-They do not see each other naturally.

4-a 6x4feet enclosure is too small for both of them. You would have to take in consideration that each other need their private space. You would need a 12feetx4 feet enclosure.

For both of your animal health, it would recommand not to house them together, even if they are "friendly".
    I have a savannah monitor and a black and white argentine tegu, they are both adults and this summer we decided to let them meet eachother and roam the house together! they get along great they follow eachother everywhere,they both go under the couch and snuggle up to eachother, and they sleep right next to or on top of one another! they love eachother so in my case it worked out great! but im sure it depends on the individual monitor and their temperment both my savannah and my tegu are very friendly and calm, so if one or both of your monitors are aggressive it might be a bad idea, take them out of thier enclosures and put them near eachother on the floor and see what happens but keep an eye on them ! until you know weather or not they will get along.

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Also, this post is quite old. Almost 3 years. We try to keep old posts closed, so just try to keep that in mind. He was also talking about housing them TOGETHER in the ENCLOSURE, whereas you mean in the house running around. We aren't even really saying they wouldn't get along so much as it is that the husbandry are two (literally) different animals in this case.

Again welcome! Let us know if you have any questions