Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocky got into my fan and hit by the blades :(

Default Rocky got into my fan and hit by the blades :(

Rocky is almost dead or dying I think, maybe not but he got into my fan and got stuck inside and got hit by the blades :( I hope he is okay, but I did learn something from all of this, that snakes blood is white (I think, thats blood anyhow.)

varnyard Guest

DeadIrishD, He is not bleeding, if the blood is white. Snakes blood is red just like anything else. He may have discharged out of his cloaca. Snakes do this sometimes when they are hert or afraid. How is he?

Snakes' blood is not white. The oxygen-binding pigment of erythrocites in snakes, and ALL vertebrates for that matter, is hemoglobin, which makes the blood red.

This should be taken as a lesson by all, that even though we may think these animals are intelligent and such, when it comes down to it, they do NOT understand devices are dangerous. One would be considered negligent to allow infants to play around such equipment, tegus are no different.

he seems better than I had thought physically, just extremely nervous and I can't get him away from the fan.

I know that snakes blood is red now, and I did before its just that my nerves and everything kicked in :(

tupinambis, you are acting like I said oh gee rocky lets play near the fan where you are cold blooded, ya know just to make you cold when you like heat? yup thats cool, wasn't my fault that Rocky had gotting out of his cage if thats what you are implying, if I did take this the wrong way I am truthfully sorry though.

No, that's not quite what I was getting at. Just saying that everyone could learn something from the encounter to avoid similar situations. However, not that I wish to pick a fight here, but you raise an interesting question. If it isn't the pet owner's fault (ie. responsibility) for ensuring that their animals' enclosures are secure and the animal is safe, then who is at fault? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's just my opinion, but the way I see it, anyone who decides to own a reptile (or pretty much any pet for that matter) has volunteered to be responsible for every aspect of that organism's life, including its safety.

I agree with tupinambis

However, accidents do happen. One morning I came downstairs and saw the window of my gecko enclosure was open...why? I can't honestly say. I am pretty sure I closed it before. As I was feeding them and didnt want to have crickets run loose in the house...
    When I checked 2 gecko's were gone (I had 5 at the time) And these are those very tiny stenodactylus (10 cm)
    I did find them again underneath my computer (warm and dark)
    But after some days they died...I asume because of the stress and cold of being out of their enclosure.

And I am pretty sure every ones in a while we all make a mistake or forget something we need to do to keep them safe. Sometimes its a little thing, and sometimes its pretty bad and the animal might die.
    Our fault? YES! But if it wasnt done on purpose or out of neglect its not something to give anyone a hard time about (and I am not saying your giving him a hard time Tupinambis, its just to finish off my rant about this subject )

Hows the snake doing?
    Did you get it out yet?
    Be sure to either get it to a vet (a herp vet) or clean out the wounds with betamine or whats the name of the stuff in english
    If the wound will infect its the end for the snake I think...
    1.0.0 T.rufescens
    0.1.0 T.merianae
    1.0.0 Testudo horsfieldii
    1.0.0 Stenodactylus sthenodactylus
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys ornata
    0.0.1 Geocholone elegans
    0.0.1 Python regius
    2.0.0 Mustela Putorius Furo
    0.1.0 Bouvier des flandres

varnyard Guest

I agree with you Brisamen, and you are right (IMO).
    We must remember that we are their keepers, and it is up to us to try to keep them safe. But as you said accidents do happen. If we try real hard we might be able to keep some of the bad things from happening.
    And DeadIrishD, I hope your snake is ok.

**** bro/ sis I am sorry for freaking out on you last night, I really didnt mean to be as much of an ******* as I was.

and although Rocky seemed to have gotting hurt a little bit last night, I don't think he is still as hurt as theres no cuts or anything

It's not money, but miscommunication, that is the root of all evil. :evil:

Rick

I hope he turns out okay...he probably will. Reptiles are remarkably durable .

Not that they don't deserve to be carefully cared for and watched over to prevent injury.

But accidents do happen. My darkest hour was when I accidently left a young iguana (a rescue case even :cry: ) outside in the basking cage for too long in the middle of summer. I just forgot he was outside...couldn't believe myself. Anyway...long story short iguanas can't take more than an hour or so of AZ sun...he overheated and died. :cry:

It took me a very long time to forgive myself for that.
    Elliot

1.2.0 blues
    1.0.0 red
    0.2.0 family

...and way too many fish