Thread: Difference Between Bullsnakes and Gopher Snakes?

Default Difference Between Bullsnakes and Gopher Snakes?

Does anyone know the Difference Between Bullsnakes and Gopher Snakes?

Considering their similar appearance, they are often mistaken for one another, especially in the western states where they occur in the same range.

They are in the genus Pituophis along with Pine snakes.

They're all pretty snakes.. but the difference is minimal. Size, coloration, pattern, and natural diet may differ.

In captivity, you may as well assume they're the same snake, feeding on rodents. Though I believe the youngest will eat insects.

we have bull snakes all over the place in the wild here.... mean little buggers!

i find it funny that one of the local pet shops is selling an adult for 30 bucks.. when you can just go out and find yourself one for nothing :shrug:
    1.0.1-tegus 0.0.1-iguana 0.0.1-beardie 0.1-RTB 0.0.1 Kingsnake 0.1-potbellied pig 3.2-cats 2.1-dogs 1.1-ferrets 0.1-Quaker 2.1-Zebra finches 1.1 conures 0.1-rat 0.0.1-emperor scorpion

Bullsnakes are probably easier to differentiate from the rest of the gopher snakes, as that group is a bit more variable. Gopher snakes encompass several species, while the bullsnake is a subspecies of catenifer - it's Pituophis catenifer sayi. It's quite easy to distinguish - bullsnakes have a characteristic "overbite" so their top jaw is quite a bit longer than their bottom, and they generally have a pointy nose. Their pattern can be variable through their range (I'm at the northernmost tip, I don't know where you are but they're all the way down to Texas) but characteristically they look like three different patterns stuck together - a head to midbody pattern, and often lighter midsection, and then a darkly patterned tail. Presence/absence of a belly pattern is variable even within a population.
    Do a google search and you should get lots of pictures.

well you see i want to breed my albino female snake...however i cant tell if she is a bull snake or a gopher snake..... Well with Alex's description she should be a bull snake....thanks then...now to find a male.....