Thread: Idea for my heat pad. Need input.

Default Idea for my heat pad. Need input.

Hey everyone i have a heat pad under my tank that isnt being used but now that it is about to snow im getting worried that she wil get too cold. i have already noticed that she is sleeping more eating less and only comes out of her mulch cave too eat or when she wants a hot bath. so i had an idea, the heat pad is under her water dish which is a large tupaware dish. if i turned the pad on it would heat the water to keep it warm. does anyone see any probs this. i know the heat pads get to hot (i burnt myself on it testing it originally) i dont think she could get in direct contact with it though. let me know wat u guys think

Is this the kind of heating pad designed for terrariums, that has an adhesive back and is designed to be stuck on a glass bottom? You can plug those right into your cage thermostat. We had a ceramic pond, put it over the place on Hernando's floor that was heated by the under-glass heater, and it was fine. We put the sensor in the pond, at the warmest point. Set the thermostat no higher than 90 degrees F.

If you are talking about a heating pad designed for humans, you need to be very careful. Don't leave it on when you aren't around. Check the temps frequently and in many places. Those things are not designed to heat evenly and can easily burn your tegu. Also, I think their response is too slow to work well in a thermostat.

I, too, would be concerned about a contact burn. Check the temp of the water to make sure all is OK. Otherwise, I would just let her slow down and hibernate. She's indoors and the temps in the house won't fall below 40-50 will they?

Have a back-up plan in case of a power outage. I remember a member got snowed in last year during a power outage and was worried about his tegus experiencing freezing temps. It seemed like he pulled them out and kept a fire going in the fireplace to keep himself and his pets warm.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

the heat pad is a zoo med terrarium one. and last year we lost power for almost 4 days.living in a apartment i dont have a fireplace here. i live in washington just below mt rainer and once the snow level comes off the hills im the first to get it. would a large bin full of towel hold enough heat? any other ideas with the cold. it gets about 45-55 in the house with no heat on. if it snows it could get in the low 30s to high 20s outside.(the heat will be on if it snows). any other ideas on how to kep her warm in case of snow.

You could buy a bunch of those hand warmer things (you crunch them and the chemical reaction creates heat) if your electricity fails. They last for a number of hours-I'm not sure how long. I'd wrap them in a towel in case they get too hot.

thanks bubba i was actually thinking of that.i used to do a lot of hunting so i have experience with those and i know that they can get kinda hot but wrapped up they shouldnt be to bad. does anyone think that would be a bad idea.