Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Tegu is Very Sick

:cry: txrepgirl, when you mentioned kidney or liver failure, that is exactly what my vet said would be the next thing to test for, before his energy perked up yesterday. If I find him in that shape again, he has to have blood tests done.

But can anything be done to save him if it gets that far? Has anyone out there had a tegu get better after either of these things were diagnosed?

I don't think the kennel exposed him to toxins. The vet said that when a lizard loses his appetite for long periods after having maybe a bit of high fat content in his regular diet (from big mice and quail eggs, in our case) their body sometimes can't metabolize their body fat efficiently, especially any fat that surrounds their liver. I don't know if I'm being scientifically precise here, so maybe someone can correct me.

As of now, this is a bit less of a concern with Hernando because yesterday's giant poop event showed that (a) he had been eating at the kennel, and (b) he'd managed to get his temperature up to the point that he could metabolize his meal .

Default caution re: betadine

Hi All, again,

I feel compelled to pass on my vet's response when I asked about the betadine bath:

"No, it's not a fungus. Presents totally different.

Love those who give advise without seeing the pet.
    Betadene in his situation will do more harm than good.
    Not good to be exposed full body to idodine products!!!"

laurafl, please don't be insulted. I really appreciate your suggestion and it seemed logical to me, but this vet did examine my boy and he is knowledgeable with herps. So in this case I'll go with the pro. Hope my vet doesn't mind my posting the message, but I wanted anyone else who saw the earlier posts to have both sides before they made their own decision.

Not offended, to each his own. My advice also came from a vet, for what it's worth, but it was for a large area of dermatitis that was not specifically tested to be fungal or antibiotic. In that case perhaps the exposure of iodine was outweighed by the severity of the skin disease...I don't know.

I applaud anyone for checking with a vet first before applying any home treatment. People come here to ask for help and I think everyone has the best of intentions in mind.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Update: still hasn't shed his eyelids. There's nothing loose around the eyes for me to pick at if I tried. His body shed is still not flaking off, but very slow progress is showing.

He seems to have slept all day in his special crib, made from an open 20-gal aquarium heated from above with a ceramic heat emitter and a "blue" night bulb, lined with damp towels that he can also dig under. It's heated from below with a sensor on the glass bottom and thermostat on 90. He can freely climb in and out, but had apparently got up only to pee -- nothing else was disturbed and he hadn't eaten the berries and kiwi left for him.

In the p.m., I brought him a week-old quail, dusted with vitamins and with a drop of codliver oil hidden in his throat. Hernando pounced on that like he hadn't eaten in a year, then scarfed up all the berries I'd left this morning. He spent an hour in the Rubbermaid humidor, got the KY smeared on him, and I put him back in his hospital room. He went straight to the hottest, full-UV basking spot and fell asleep again. This UV and 103 degrees was available all day, but he only goes for it at night. I didn't turn the daytime lights out, cuz I want him to stay as warm as he needs. I know it's not right to have him off cycle, but I don't know what else to do. :cry: The temps and humidity are the priority.

He kind of scoots around in his sleep and now (after 4 hrs) he's under a regular warming bulb, not directly under UV but still in the high 90's. No attempt to scoot under his logs or climb into his crib. I'm shutting off the UV for the night but leaving the other lights on.

If anyone else out there has struggled with finding a way to mess up the least, please don't be shy about sharing your story.

I'm sooooo happy to hear that Hernando is doing so much better now. I believe that he will be fine now ( since he pooped so much and is eating well ). Thank you so much for keeping us posted. Please give him a big hug from me . Thank you.

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Thanks, txrepgirl. When he wakes up I will give him that hug from you. Just a warning, however, he will probably eat that bear.:lol:

Glad to hear your tegu is doing better
    1.0.0. English Budgie (Peanut)
    1.0.0. Red-Eared Slider (Rocky)
    1.0.0. Bearded Dragon (Gomek)
    www.youtube.com/SnakeEyes223

:lol: never mind the bear than. He can look at it but can't touch it lol. Thank you for giving him a hug from me .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl