Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I put my hands on the line for these

Hello all... This is one of the few species of frogs where the female is much smaller. The females only get around 5 or so inches. The males can grow up to about 10 inches. The males have a very broad large head and the females have smaller heads..

As far as feeding... Unfortunately, these males, more so Barney, only want and will eat mice. Mice are not a good staple for frogs. I have tried not feeding them for a while, but they only want mice..To sort of counter act this, I do not feed them very often.. I am hoping that, at some point, I will be able to get them to eat something else... My female, however, will eat anything.

Rob

Pixies are awesom. I was fortunate to be in Africa during the wet in 1984 and got to witness these things erupting out of the ground. It was a little freaky. The first thing they did was look for food, they attacked everything that moved including any frog that would fit in thier mouth, and some that wouldn't. They don't actually have "teeth" they have 2 or 3 odontodes that stick up from thier lower jaw in the front that hang onto prey... and fingers...
    "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent" ~Qui-Gon Jinn

3.1 Juvie Humans
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python
    ?.? Arg B&W Tegu
    1.0 BUD (Big Ugly Dog)
    1.0 Fat Cat

Mice Only Have you tried feeding them locusts or giant cockroaches? They look like they were designed to counteract a locust plague.

I would love to see pixie frogs emerging from the ground!!

The closest phenomenon I've seen was when I was doing field study in the Mojave desert of California, during the second year of a drought. We stopped for lunch in this miserable little half-abandoned, half-never completed housing development that never should have been started. They had an abandoned community swimming pool that, from a distance, looked like it was cloudy black with filth. But once we started walking down the street it was clear that the entire village, starting with that half-evaporated pool, was COVERED with newly metamorphosed spadefoot toads. The were EVERYWHERE! This pool must have been the only available breeding ground for 20 square miles or more, for two years.

They're real beauties alright! I've never seen any that big before. What do you feed them?

Quote Originally Posted by HernandosMom View Post
    The closest phenomenon I've seen was when I was doing field study in the Mojave desert of California, during the second year of a drought. We stopped for lunch in this miserable little half-abandoned, half-never completed housing development that never should have been started. They had an abandoned community swimming pool that, from a distance, looked like it was cloudy black with filth. But once we started walking down the street it was clear that the entire village, starting with that half-evaporated pool, was COVERED with newly metamorphosed spadefoot toads. The were EVERYWHERE! This pool must have been the only available breeding ground for 20 square miles or more, for two years.
    That's a sight! What were you studying, HM?
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl View Post
    That's a sight! What were you studying, HM?
    There is (was) an endangered reptile, the Blunt-Nosed Leopard Lizard, with remnant habitat along the southerna and southeastern edge of the San Juaquin Valley. It had a close relative just across the Tehachapi range. I helped a doctoral student make behavioral observations that compared the two species. Later, I censused the endangered lizards on public lands where it was proposed to intensify oil drilling.

Guess who won? :cry:

Hello enigma... Unfortunately, all these frogs seem to want is mice. Which are a terrible item for a staple. I am working on gettign them to eat other things, but no real luck..

Rob