Thread: Can't we save them!?

Default Can't we save them!?

Every day, another species goes extinct.

What can we do to help?

Get involved! Find a local conservation group and volunteer or donate money. Make your own area (backyard, community) friendly to native species.

The earth is dynamic, always changing. I don't think it is possible to save them all. Some species, like the Florida panther are rather controversial when it comes to saving. It seems that everyone likes the little crooked tail, but they are proposed to be the product of much inbreeding and a shallow gene pool.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

1. Stop producing more humans. No conservation project, no matter how well funded, how active, how progressive, can stand in the face of the onslaught of the growing human population. Until the human population problem is addressed, all conservation projects are doomed in the long run. Sad fact but true. Promote birth control and single child families.

2. Reduce your ecological footprint. The main reason so many species are endangered is because of our desire and "need" for resources and extraneous lifestyles. I'm not one of those tree hugging nuts that insist everyone rides bikes everywhere, wear hemp clothing, eat organic, etc. But there's no need for people to regularly drive pick up trucks, use a vehicle to run to any store within 5 blocks, buy the latest consumer electronic device when the last one is still functioning fine, drink bottled water in North America/Europe, etc. You don't need to be an angel, but we can be a lot more consciencious in our lifestyles.

3. Education. Truly educate yourselves and those around you. Be aware of the true issues impacting species and environments. For instance, ever hear of "dolphin free tuna"? Do you know what it really means? People think it means no dolphins were caught while catching the tuna. Wrong. It's an industry standard that really means fewer dolphins than tuna were caught. Considering the plight of tuna worldwide, one should reconsider eating tuna (or any seafood period) at all. Recycling is another issue full of a lot of falsehood. Don't get me wrong, there are some things that are definitely worthwhile and efficient to recycle. Others are not. It is actually more wasteful and polluting to recycle most paper than to use raw wood.

4. As laurafl stated, get involved. It's easy to sit on our collective asses and send money to a program and fund and hope they do the job. But in most cases, a very significant portion of those funds get used up in paying wages, taxes, buying supplies, etc, and very little winds up causing meaningful, effective change. But putting in real effort does a lot more.

Great question, the best thing would be to make your part like everyone should.

1- Reduce pollution, by recycling more, using the bus/train instead of the car, re-using object, using less plastic, stopping buying the new gadget (cellular, ipod, etc) that comes out everyweek etc. This would be not only good to human and animals, but also for the entire earth.

2- Like laurarlf said : find a local conservation and donate.

3- Stopping wildcaught importation. This is probably the worst thing you can do. Buying an animal, that has a lot of pourcentage of dying.

4- Buying animals that are CAPTIVE BRED, not wildcaught.

5- Make captive breeding of animal that are rarely seen in captivity, almost extinct (to release in the wild), or to reduce wildcaught import.

6- Tupinambis has great point, population is a big problem now.

Here is a couple of reptile that I would love to breed to help them.
    -Galapagos Tortoise (Geochelone nigra)
    -Aldabra Tortoise (Geochelone gigantea)
    -Burmese Mountain tortoise (Manouria emys)
    -Radiated Tortoise (Geochelone Radiata)
    -Desert Tortoise (Gopherus agassizii)
    -Rhino Iguana (Cyclura cornuta)
    -Blue Cayman Iguana (Cyclura lewisi)
    -Cuban Iguana (Cyclura nubila)
    -All crocodilian (especially the Chinese Alligator (Alligator sinensis) and the Gharial (Gavialis gangeticus))
    -Komodo Dragon (Varanus komodoensis)
    -And many more

That is why, everybody can contributed to the help of those animal. Even if some won't the better thing, is to try the best we can.
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Wink

I like the Map Turtle and Painted Lady turtles myself. If I am incredibly lucky, I might even get to see some in the pond or the lake where I live.

Over at PSC, I once found one struggling in the middle of the road and picked it up and put it in the garden where the sprinklers were going. It was so pretty, I wish you could have seen it.

Baby turtles are cute. If you guys fish in World of Warcraft, well, I'm trying to catch that Sea Turtle mount because it's awesome.

Florida's most common are Snapping Turtles and Alligator Snapping Turtles, right? They're not bad, I had one as a kid once. He nipped me, but he was very sweet for a little guy. Uh, how big do the actual Alligator Snapping get?
    Last edited by JinzouTamegu; 01-19-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: forgot something
    1. Two "evil twin" Sugar Gliders, Eevee and Nibbler, unneutered (looking to get laid lol)
    2. A freshwater fishtank with Plecos and Guppies, mainly—also a black GhostKnife fish and a really cool Ropefish
    3. A cute little Lionhead bunny, male, named Pocky (unneutered)
    4. A beautiful Argentine Tegu named Cinders (probably female based on build)
    5. One Citrus Fire named Pie and one German Giant mix named Honey (fertile)
    6. Conserve your little ones... we all loved cartoons as a kid.

umm well a species does not go extinct everyday

I don't think he meant that literally
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)