Thread: New Tegu, and hibernation questions :)

Question New Tegu, and hibernation questions :)

Hi Everyone! I just got my baby red tegu 2 days ago. I name him/her Junior.
    I chose him because he was very laid back and tame when i pick him up. and i did ask the pet store staff to feed him pinky in front of me to see if he's eatting well. i took him back home and put him in a 6 feet long enclouser. with hides, water bowl, fake plants etc. the enclourse has power sun uvb light and lower watt red heat bulb on cool side. (basking spot is 110 and cool side is 84) during the night it was 72 F.

So I took him out yestarday from his burrow around 2pm ( he's not coming out whole day even the temp is alright) and i fed him one hopper FT mice and 6 cricekts dusted. then i put him back and soon he went to burrow himself again. today same thing he's not coming out until i took him out and try to feed him blue burries and butter worms but he didn't take any.

I keep the normal 11 hours light cycle and temp is alright also he's not moving today as well perfer to stay in the cool side besides the water bowl. and his body feels cold when i take him out during the day.

is this normal to a tegu? doesn't matter what you do to keep up the temp they do what they want in nature?

thanks!!
    btw, this forum couldn't be opened in last few days? and i'll take more pics of him
    Attached Images Attached Images

hey! You might try a bottom heat pad on the oppiste end of the light . And did you say you took him out when he was burrowed??That isn't a good idea cuz thats where they are secure. Let them come out on their own.If you have had him 2 days he isn't adjusted to his new environment yet.Your temps seem fine.It takes a while to have a schedule for eating.I was very worried when I got my GU about having to feed him daily.When he pops out just feed him till he starts rubbing his face and satisfied ..In time you'll see what works.Just keep checking back.Axe
    0.1 Black & White Argentine Tegus
    0.1 Kahl Super Sunglow Red Tail Boa
    1.0 Het for Snow Red Tail Boa
    1.1 Pastel Ball Python,
    1.0 Butter Albino Corn Snake
    0.1 Russian Tortoise (RIP Terdis)
    1 Sulcata tortoise (RIP Jr.)
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 cats
    rat's

if i were you I'd switch out that "red" bulb (it can harm their eyes (can lead to blindness)

joist use a regular incandescent light bulb or a flood light
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

Why will the red bulb cause blindness? I kinda doubt that.
    0.1 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dante)
    1.0 Paraguayan Red Tegu (Azshara)
    0.1 Ball Python [100% Het. Albino] (Persephone)

Florida Death Metal - SledgegrindeR
    www.myspace.com/sledgegrinder

their has been studies done with them and with monitors the Red light & Black light emit in the spectrum of visible light that prolonged exposure can do irreversible damage to their sensitive eyes

(all i have to say is light your entire room with bright red or black light spend 10-12 hours every day for a week and tell me it don't hurt your eyes)
    Red & Black light builbs are normal use for Nocturnal animals that cant see color - and yes Tegus & Monitors can see colors
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

pikey ftw. good to know!

Congrats on your new Tegu. He is very good looking. I like the pattern a lot . I agree about the red light. I don't recommend using a under the tank heat pad. Tegus burrow and he can get to close to the heat pad and get burnt. The good thing is that he already ate for you. Some Tegus when they are in a new home they don't eat anything for up to a week. Since it's winter time it's normal for them to slow down with every thing ( eating, not basking as long, and sleeping more ). Some Tegus when they had a big meal they might skip a day or two. How big is he ? he might want to stay in his hide because he is scared. The enclosure might be to big for him right now if he is still little. Do you measure the temps on the basking spot right under neath the basking light or from the side of the enclosure ? it makes a big difference.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl