Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stuck shed

Default stuck shed

What causes stuck shed? is it just humidity or are there other causes too? how do you get rid of it?
    1 leopard gecko
    1 gargoyle gecko
    125 gallon fish tank african cichlids
    1 red tegu
    1 jeweled lacerta
    1 western hognose
    1 coastalxjungle carpet python
    1 argentine red tail boa
    1 braziliain rainbow boa
    2 lightening blue geckos
    1 tokay gecko
    hundreds of roaches

Humidity is one, but i know with Red's a Vitamin deficiency is they main cause (they need more than B&Ws)
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

I would also like to know what will help get rid of it.. My Girls tail needs to shed and i have been soaking her every day for about an hour.. then putting some oil on it ( I heard that helps) .. I dont want to pull it off, but the soaking and upping the humidity isnt helping.. i have her mister on the highest setting all day.. so far nothing is hellping.. any other ideas?

I'm supplementing all the chicken, turkey anything that isn't a rodent with repti supplement with d3 so what else?
    1 leopard gecko
    1 gargoyle gecko
    125 gallon fish tank african cichlids
    1 red tegu
    1 jeweled lacerta
    1 western hognose
    1 coastalxjungle carpet python
    1 argentine red tail boa
    1 braziliain rainbow boa
    2 lightening blue geckos
    1 tokay gecko
    hundreds of roaches

Low humidity. Keeping a moist to the touch hide really does help on the cool end. You can place Sphagnum moss in the hide. Also, you can take a lukewarm towel (watch the toenails don't get stuck) and wrap it around your Tegu and or the problem areas.

Tails always take the longest and are the last.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

Default shed

agree with angelrose I would give the tegu luke warm baths and gently remove old skin with tweezers or hand. repeat till all skin comes off pay attention to the toes and feet making sure the skins off if left on will cause toe loss. good luck
    too many tegus But can never say no to the GU

I have not had any problems with Toki's shedding since the first shed, which was a nightmare. Now I give daily baths, use a moist hide with moss and when I see that the skin is ready to shed I put snake oil on (but nowhere near head) right after giving the warm bath and then wrap her up in a warm moist towel. After a day or two of this the skin has been coming off very easily. The last few sheds using this method have gone very well. After applying the snake oil the body and tail are coming off in large pieces. I think that the oil is getting in between the new and old skin and helping it to pop right off.

Humidity and bathes are important, but vitamin deficiencies also contribute to shedding problems, according to our vet and other sources I've read. Vitamin C and beta carotene are the two most important. Lots of fruits have vitamin C and mostly orange fruits and vegetables have beta carotene. I think it works better to rely mostly on fresh fruits & veggies for vitamins, and only use the vitamin powder as a backup.

If you want to read about some REALLY serious stuck shed problems and some ideas for dealing with it, check out this thread:

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...dding-Problems

It's normal for the tail to take longer to shed. Please be carful not to have the enclosure to humid ( the enclosure is to wet ). He could get a upper respiratory infection.
    To help with the shedding I mix just a little bit off cod liver oil with the ground turkey or feed beef or chicken liver. As soon as I see that the skin looks dull I start to give them a bath every day until they shed. I don't recommend pulling on the skin because you can damage the scales and it can get infected.

RTI info:

http://www.anapsid.org/rti.html

Shedding info:

http://www.anapsid.org/shedding.html
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Humidity is one, but i know with Red's a Vitamin deficiency is they main cause (they need more than B&Ws)
    i know breeders who do not feed their reds any fruits at all nor their black and whites and do not have problems. While, yes in the wild reds do eat alot more fruits. But with proper supplements they should be fine. The shedding problem is most likely humidity.