Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!

Unhappy Help!!!

her cage^ now lined with moist paper towels and it hasn't gone in yet she pooped and was fine this happen when she was out with me she was roaming my bed and i looked at her and bam there it was liquid was coming out looked kinda brown not much she ate today and basked this happen just yesterday does anyone know what it is and how to help her! i am going to the vet asap! but want to know now!

i have cleaned it since pics cloaca and cage whats wrong with my tegu!??

It could be a slight prolapse cased by an impaction. It's really hard to tell by photos. It could also be an infected cloaca. I would be more inclined to go with impaction/prolapse based on the facts given. So, I would call a vet for an appointment. While waiting for the vet I would soak her in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes, clean the cloacal opening and then apply a small amount of triple antibiotic (Neosporin or generic, just make sure it's the basic, not the Plus.)

Rick

Is it my eyes, the picture, or is that a bit of substrate trying to be passed? I would keep the temps up, keep the tegu on moist paper towels, and also give it a warm bath for 15 min to see if that will help it to have a BM. Try feeding it a tablespoon or two of ground turkey or egg with cod liver oil or mineral oil and about a 1/4 teaspoon of plain Metamucil/psyllium type fiber.

If nothing improves within 24-48 hrs or it get worse, contact a vet. It appears that the cloaca area is irritated from trying to pass something and you don't want the lizard to have a prolapse. I'm not a vet, but that's what I would do in your shoes. The idea is to keep the lizard active, add fiber to the diet, and a bit of lubricant as a mild laxative. Since it is not a big prolapse, it may resolve on its own. A cloacal prolapse or impaction can get to the point of being serious, so you want to keep an eye on it.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Sorry, Rick, I must have been typing while you were posting!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Is that cypress stuck coming out or is it a bit of cypress just stuck to the outside? That will make a difference.

Also, it was stated the tegu was not having proper bowel movements recently, how long has it been?

Rick

Laura: No need to be sorry, we are both just offering advice on the limited info we have :P

ok so heres more in depth

she was pooping every couple days but was increasing her intake and output. She was down but now everyday around 4 pm she will be up sitting by the glass waiting for food she has been taking alot of meal worms pinkies,dubia roaches,and i try fruits and veggies almost at every meal she just won't attack anything except brained f/t pinks and roach/worms

her bowels were fine as in every day craping after she would bask they have been long some urates about the sizes of the meal worms just digested and in the bath after the cypress on the outside of the cloaca in the pic was because i had just got her out of the cage to take pics whick her substrate was getting caught so i removed it she's now in paper towels moistened and she had it she got a bath 2 seconds after the pic then i uploaded and posted on to tegutalk this was day 1 after the night she first showed this

she wasn't moving her bowl just walking on my bed cleared totally of anything i was laying right next to her the entire time then when i noticed it i took a look knew something was wrong put her back she kinda squirted a fluid seems clear almost as though she urinated in her cage? actual luiquid i soon did this above ^ posted without pics and then updated with pics yesterday.

as far as i know she hasn't ingested anything to cause impaction that i have seen her eat she is really picky too it does only seem to be where the vent would open is puffed and pink like flipped inside out (think eyelids inside out). she just crapped yesterday i have yet to see her today

Actually since i got her 2 months ago she hasn't shed i thought well hibernation/burmation ment no grow well she had it looked as thogh burn scars but it was actually her shed it is like encrusted onto her body i soaked her for a good 45 min last night in 85* water and she seems to start shedding her tail abit

^ could there be tight shed causing this it does look as though sed pieces are hanging near the cloaca opening or am i trippin?

sorry if i don't use periods.

I am not a vet, of course, but I'm thinking that might be an injured hempene. As in, that might not be a girl, but a developing boy. Possibly when the lizard was pushing hard to have a bowel movement on its substrate, the immature hemepenes were pushed out a bit and maybe caught some substrate, causing an irritation. Bathes should help until you can get to the vet. Careful not to get too warm; mid-eighties to low ninety degrees, but water never more than 8-10 degrees higher than the tegu's body temp before immersion.

The clearish parts are what I guess you're thinking might be shed? Not in my opinion. Shed that causes problems would not be thin and transparent like that; it gets tough and if really bad, a little crisp. This doesn't look like that, but I can't tell much from a picture alone.

ok so vet appointment is tomorrow at 1:20 hope all goes well here is a few updates

yesterday

a droplet also some white urates came out.

and this is how the shed difference

TODAY:
    Plz tell me what you see? worse better she is going to the vet crappys first for size

and the shed now just the tail

and a close up showing the cloaca looks rectal to me??

:cry:Yeeeeouch!

The reason the cloaca looks rectal is because it is -- the cloaca serves all functions. But I know what you mean.

Here is part one of a 3-part post from someone whose tegu had a really severe prolapse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB_vEPldZ9I

I don't know if yours is a prolapse of gut tissue or inflamed sex organ or infected cloaca due to some unknown reason. But the setup shown in that video I would think would be good for your animal until you see the vet. Then ask the vet about it.

This humidity chamber would also help your tegu to finish shedding. Your sense that the old layer of skin may be causing this or making it worse might well be true -- you are there to see and feel it.

If you try this humidor, please do one thing different than what the guy says. He put his temperature at around 80 -- you should be at around 90. I learned this the hard way. :oops: My tegu had a bad retained shed so I used this set-up to help him, and let him sleep in it as long as he looked comfortable. But 80 was too low -- he started to get respiratory congestion. My vet said keep it at 90 and only leave him in a couple hours at most. It made a huge difference!

ok so i took her in on saturday to san joaquin vetrinary hospital(sp?) and she was diagnosed with a small prolapse told me i did everything right and i couldn't have done it without you guys thanks ever so much!!!

Update was to say it has gone back in on it's own but took a good 4 days and soaks keeping the towels wet enough but it went back we had already paid for a fecal examination which i will be dropping off tomorrow to see if indeed parasites are to blame!! 80 $ for a checkup and fecal Ridiculous but necessary. i am still whatching her closely i really can't thank every one enough i'll be sure to introduce her to the community for real tomorrow she is such a lovely girl.