Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New tegu owner, need some help!

Default New tegu owner, need some help!

Hey everyone!
    I've been reading a bunch about tegus lately but still have a few questions. I picked up an "argentine b&w tegu" baby at a reptile show. The tegu looked good and he's been happy and eating normal. So my first question is, What kind of tegu is this:

Here are the rest of my questions:
    1. What should I name it!? i need something original.
    2. I know i shouldnt feed it in its house, but he wont eat when i stick him in another box.
    3. I've read a bunch of the taming threads and stuff, and i've been hanging out with my tegu for over an hour a day. But i'm confused about holding it, he'll let me pick him up no problem, but he wont chill out in my hand. He'll sit for a few seconds then he wants to run away, should i hold him and not let it go? any input is much appreciated.
    4. This isnt really a question, more of an observation; but how come some people on here type really well and have really good grammar, while others cant spell for ****! Bad grammar really bugs me so i would appreciate it greatly if everyone would take an extra 2 seconds to make sure they spell correctly. It makes the forum look soo much better.
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by Angelrose; 02-01-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Hello JamesB, Welcome to the Tegu ......

You have an adorable, baby Colombian Tegu. Congratulations !

As for a name for your Tegu, I usually watch how they act or something/someone they remind me of. Different people have different ways of selecting a name for their Tegus. I'm sure some of our members will suggest some for you.

In time, he will eat for you in separate area. Train him now while he is young. Be consistent.

Colombian Tegus can be 'skittish'. If he lets you pick him up now, you are off to a good start. Don't ruin the trust you have built with him so far by holding onto him and not letting go. It takes time, patience and you must build trust.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

Is that the "Argentine black/white Tegu" you picked up? It looks like a Colombian to me. Then my Tegus try to get away I usually let them. I don't want to force anything on them. They usually shows up a couple of seconds later, hehe.
    And about the grammar, not everyone has English as their native language. I'm having trouble with expressing myself in English and I'm pretty sure my grammar is not so good. But I still want to be a part of the Tegu community since they are very rare in the country I live in.
    Last edited by Angelrose; 02-01-2010 at 01:10 PM.

I'll address the grammar issue since others have hit the tegu issue already. I happen to love spelling and grammar (I'm a nerd)and both come very easy for me. My husband is truly dyslexic and my 15yo daughter is as well. Since I homeschool her, I am quite aware of her English instruction and have drilled her for years and tried different therapies. She just has iffy grammar at times and can't spell. Even when using spell checker, spell checker might suggest a properly spelled wrong word. But she gets A's in her outside classes (including Honors English II) and loves to participate in on-line forums. So for some people, typing fast and easy is a blessing, and for others, more of a task.

Some members here, like isdrake, one of our moderators, Ben 3233, and one of our admin, txrepgirl, are not native English speakers. We have members from Western Europe, Eastern Europe, South America, Canada, and I thought we had someone from S Africa. We love our international membership and just help out if there's an English 'glitch'.

I wouldn't want anyone to feel excluded or not share an opinion based on their spelling expertise.

By the way, welcome JamesB! You have a cute, young Colombian there. You can try feeding him some crickets in his cage. Make sure the crickets are gutloaded and dusted so that he gets calcium. I'm assuming you have a UVB light and a basking spot that reaches 105-ish? Misting him to keep the humidity up and providing a water place big enough for him to soak will be helpful, too. Just checking, but that's not a pine substrate, is it?

Taming is always the hardest and everyone does it a bit different. I don't want to hold on to the lizard either, because then you evoke the fear response...pooping, biting, etc. at the same time, you need to control it. Spend time with it in a small area like a bathroom that does not have small spaces where it can escape. That way you can pick it up and hold it loosely.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Thanks a bunch!

What kind of Colombian Tegu would you guys say this is? I REALLY wanted an Argentine B&W Tegu, but this guy is pretty sweet.
    Some background info about myself: I had a Savannah Monitor for like 9 years until it passed away, he was super sweet and would just fall asleep on my arm. Now i've got this tegu, a blue tonged skink, and a Rosy Boa. I also had a Black throat monitor for a while, and then i had a nile monitor. So i know how bad the lizards can get!

Oh and what do all those numbers under your guys' post mean? like 1.0.0 tegu?

Male.Female.Unknown
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

Ohh cool! I get it now.
    any more input on making sure this is a Colombian?

yeah it's a Columbian no doubt about it it's a Black & Gold ver. (Columbian B&W are the Same as a Columbian B&G)
    did they sell it to you as a Argentine? if so i hope you didn't pay Argen price for a Columbian
    (do you have contact info on the ones who sold it to you?)
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

Real nice lizards you had and have !

From the pictures, your Colombian Tegu looks to be gold and black.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

I'll have to upload some pictures of my previous reptiles. I'm almost positive it was supposed to be an argentine b&w. The people that sold it to me are going to be at the next reptile show, so im going to go talk to them. I was considering trying to get an argentine instead. Would it be worth it? Should i trade? I mean i like mine, but i've wanted an argentine for a long while.
    How much is a columbian baby worth compared to a argentine baby?