Thread: 8 mth Columbian B/W.. New owner and Sketchiness

Exclamation 8 mth Columbian B/W.. New owner and Sketchiness

Hey everyone! I am a proud owner of a 8 month old Tegu named Pablo
    He is apprx 8 months old I am told and hes already over 20" (is this a good size for a 8 month old black/white? )
    how long till they reach full size?
    also he has been a handful to handle but eventually calms down.
    He was rehomed due to previous owner not having enough time for him.

Sometimes in his cage he jumps around like crazy, why is this ?
    his cage is an aquarium that is plenty big for him at this time.
    he has nice mulch substrate that he loves to hide in.
    he is heated with a zoomed heat mat (attached to side of aquarium) and a infared light for 2nd heat source.
    He is handled as frequently as possible and we have been handling him trying to re-tame him.

Any suggestions or info?

he Hasnt tried to bite but tries to squirm out of my hands sometimes but I'm careful not to let him drop or anything.
    He eats in a seperate container.

when he is out of his cage he doesnt whip his tail or anything.. its only sometimes in his tank..
    and other times in his home he is quiet.. all depends on his mood..
    He is a very handsome boy and im an experienced animal owner so I will take good care of him.

Hello DuncanRoss and Welcome to the Tegu Community ....

Congrats on your new Tegu, Pablo !

It's sounds like Pablo is a very good size for his age. It would some what depend on proper care and diet for the growth of the Tegu. Colombians can grow to be about 3 1/2ft. They do not hibernate.

Sometimes Tegus jump around in their cage. I noticed my Colombian starts jumping around in her house when she has to go the bathroom ..lol

Pablo's house needs to be changed. You will need UVA and a good UVB bulb for daytime. You can use the infared red for night time use or the ceramic heat lamp might be better. I would not use the heat mat at all. Tegus like to get their heat source from above i.e. they like to bask in the sun.
    On one end of the tank (the basking end, hot end) the basking spot should be 95- 110f. On the opposite end of the tank (cool end, hide) the temp. should be 65- 70f. I like to include a moist to the touch hide on the cool end (a good aid in shedding) The humidity should suffice at about 70%. You can get a rock/slab (clean) and place it on the basking end where your Tegu will bask for heat.

Colombian Tegus have a stigma for being skittish. It really sounds like your doing a great job with Pablo already. Keep up the good work and consistency ....

When you have time, we would love to see his pic.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

Hi DuncanRoss, and welcome.My Argentine jumps alot when he is hungry. as far as the hide that Angelrose was talking about I just use a big clay or plastic flower pot thats upside down and kind of propped up against something so that he can climb under. Oh and have fun with your colombian I've never had one but judging by what I've read and heard they sound pretty cool.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

pretty sure hes a Columbian Black and White.. correct? hes 2 small for an Argentine i think
    hes burrowing under the substrate as I type this.. haha.. funny man

Yeah he's a Columbian, you do NEED a UVB light, but i wouldn't use a IR heat bulb (if its the fake IR that emits red light) IR bulbs are ceramic heaters (they emit no visible light)

but the Red or Black light that emit red or the purple light is harmful to diurnal reptiles.
    has been known to lead to blindness

Red & Black lights are used for Nocturnal reptiles that can not see colors. as they do not emit a bright light but enough for you to see them & for them to "hunt".
    but using a Red or Black light during the day on a reptile that sees color the emitted light in those spectrum can be harmful to their sensitive eyes
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

Mine is kinda the same way, but only about a month old.
    It lets me pick it up from its cage fine, and i can kinda walk around with it, but then it gets hissy and doesnt like being held anymore.

Colombians are rather interesting. I don't know if it is a matter of being territorial or defensive (prey behavior), but they do tail whip and huff. My female will be 5 this year and she tail whipped until she was full grown (around 2ish). I just kept up with persistent contact and handling. Now I can reach into the cage with both of them and pet them and pick them up. They both huff, but that's all. As long as I'm not digging around their burrowing/hiding area, then it's OK.

As for the squirminess, both of my adults like to be on the highest perch and will try to climb on your head. It can be cute and it can be annoying.

When I had younger tegus living in tanks, they were jumpers. Perhaps they are looking to explore, perhaps they see the open top and want to get out. When I moved them into larger enclosures with solid walls and tops, the behavior stopped.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

hey, Yea Pablo definitely is an explorer.. when i hold him he tries to walk away he doesnt like to stay stilll hes an active guy.
    Also, when feeding him in his tub he is more interested in the surroundings and getting out of the tote.. how do you guys feed your tegus?
    Family Members:

Ball Python (Newt)
    Golden Skink (Iggy)
    African Skink (Ziggy)
    Columbian Black and White Tegu (Pablo)
    Gerbil (Chico)
    Cat; DSH(Black) "LASHES"