Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions about growing old tegu's

Great. I shouldn't off watched the first video :( . Now I want to go on a trip and feed some wild Tegus, too, lol . She is so beautiful. I have noticed some different things, too, HernandosMom. Like the colors, pattern ( more dots ), the dark nose and the black tear drop ( like on a blue Tegu ) and how she is walking. I think another reason why they are in better shape is because they probably eat more fruits in the wild, too. I love that video.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by tupinambis View Post
    I wouldn't say yours is gay, it's a matter of tempered (as in tempering steel) and exercise. Pet tegus, as a rule, are fat, lazy lizards and have never honed their skills at hunting on a daily basis. Wild tegus, on the other hand, have to be successful or they die, they are much more muscular and agile, and display much more purposeful movement.
    tupinambis, I take great umbrage on behalf of our excellent boy. While we did not raise him to be a hunter, he in fact has a powerful musculature and work ethic. No one who has witnessed the determination with which he escapes or demands release from his enclosure would question this. When given the freedom to roam, he easily walks past a bowl of food and conducts a thorough reconnaissance of every square inch available. Although he chooses not to run for reasons of his own, he doesn't hesitate to clamber, dig, and gather nest materials very energetically. And, although he has accumulated a notable Investment at the base of his tale, this is prudent from his perspective. His limbs are strong and not pudgy and he would not be described as obese. He gives himself a project, has a commitment to completion, then knows when to renew himself with a good nap. I think we can admire and celebrate the differences in tegus from other countries without denigrating our own.

lol, take "great umbrage" all you want. I was not meaning to insult your tegu, just describe the facts. The fact of the matter, no matter how you wish to look at it, is your tegu has had it easy pretty much every day of its life. Wild tegus have literally had to fight for every day of their life. This will produce different behaviours in each.
    As an example, I know people wouldn't describe me as fat, I've had many say I was amazingly strong for my build, and it is well known amongst my friends that which I can endure. However, I cannot deny that comparatively, I've had an easy life compared to some in this world. Take something like a combat veteran from some poor country, a person that has had hardship and a complete lack of luxury in their life. Next to that person, I am indeed a fat lazy individual.
    Do you know what is fat in a tegu? Most wild tegus I've seen would be described by hobbyists as thin or starving. Who is right?

That is a good size for a 4 year old. Mine Argentina has only grown a 2 inches in the last 3 years, he is 7 years old and 43" or 1.09 meters.

I measured two of my Tegus yesterday. Leonidas ( Argentine b/w male Tegu , almost 3 years old ) is 48" long from snout to tail tip. Spatzy ( Argentine male blue/red hybrid, 19 months old ) is 43" long from snout to tail tip.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by isdrake View Post
    So there's a risk that one of our Tegus are taken from the wild? :O
    Yes... if yours does not come from nature, his parents came... when the police seize illegal animals in Brazil, they send the animals to farms of IBAMA (the body responsible for maintaining and monitoring the Brazilian fauna and flora), which "recover" the animals to breed animals and produce "legal", here in Brazil only a small portion of animals seized illegal back to nature (in general, only a few species of birds).
    Brasileiro com orgulho ^^

I just looked at the video you posted, based on the coloration, pattern and size, as well as region, I would go out on a limb here and speculate that the lizard in that video is a Tupinambis duseni (aka Yellow Tegu).

Tupinambis duseni look in pattern and size much like a "blue tegu", and even though color is known to be viariable in wild populations of tegus, the color on that one is VERY yellow. The location is exactly where duseni are found. Now go grab a net and catch me a few.. what's your paypal. lol

Rick

Careful, Rick, you keep going out on that limb and it'll break. That's not Tupinambis duseni in that video, it's very much T.merianae. I keep telling you that the species has more variation than you've ever seen, and you never believe me. Colour is NOT a reliable trait to go by with tegus....

Quote Originally Posted by Mangue View Post
    Yes... if yours does not come from nature, his parents came... when the police seize illegal animals in Brazil, they send the animals to farms of IBAMA (the body responsible for maintaining and monitoring the Brazilian fauna and flora), which "recover" the animals to breed animals and produce "legal", here in Brazil only a small portion of animals seized illegal back to nature (in general, only a few species of birds).
    Oh, I just hope I didn't mess with your fauna by purchasing this Tegu.

Colin,

Not to start a long drawn out debate, because quite honestly I don't have the time... but my comment clearly stated that color was viable, but from a video, how can you be scientifically positive which tupinambis this is? Both species come from that region. Can you see the scale merisitics from within a youtube video?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by tupinambis View Post
    Careful, Rick, you keep going out on that limb and it'll break. That's not Tupinambis duseni in that video, it's very much T.merianae. I keep telling you that the species has more variation than you've ever seen, and you never believe me. Colour is NOT a reliable trait to go by with tegus....