Thread: Tegu wants attention

Talking Tegu wants attention

lol i think my tegu wants some more attention, if i walk by his cage and sit in comp chair he jumps up and hits his light then comes to the glass and puts his two front feet on it and just stares and if i don't get him out he does it again, he'll do it like 5 times before he just lays down and if he sees me leave and come back he starts over. anyone's ever done something crazy to get your attention?

yeah mine does that all the time. they say tegus cant love you but i think its a lie.

Well I don't think that any animal can love a human even dogs/cats/birds. An animal will not love which person you are, will not love your personality, your physics or even how gentle you are. BUT, the animal can make the association of the things you can bring to his life. Those things are food,liberty,exercise, curiosity, heat and comfort (petting,massage,etc).

If your Tegu is excited everytime you come by of his cage, well it's because he has made an association of a good thing with you, which is what we research from a pet.
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Yes, all of our six Tegus are doing it, too. Our biggest one even crawls up on the couch to cuddle up with us after he is done free roaming around the house .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Well, in order to say an animal can not "love" you must first have a definition of the word. If you simply define it as the most positive emotion one can have for something, then yes a tegu (snake, dog, cat...etc) can have that emotion. You could also define love as a positive emotion someone else makes you feel. In this context you can define the tegu as loving you because it has associated you with positive things (food, exercise, free roaming).

So maybe it isn't the same emotion you feel for your family/spouse/children/animals, but it is the best they have

I won't enter into this kind of discussion, because it will never end. In my opinion, love is an emotion that we (human) identify to our attraction between each others. This reaction is made by physical and psychological attraction to another person. Like I said, an animal won't love your personnality, how gentle you are or how you look, etc... In this case, the tegus ''want'' attention because he see a benefits of it. (probably being pet,comfort, fed or having more space to run). Of course, the definition of the word love can be relative to each person. I don't want to sound like the guy who said : animal don't have personality, they are eating machine and blablabla. I am myself someone that likes animal with outgoing personality and curious behavior face to human presence.

All I said, is that animal will see the positive association between you and the action itself and will associated you with that positive action.
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

so eating large amounts of chocolate has the same effect as being in love -
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

I think that they are smart enough to get our attention to get what they want. And like dogs can learn a routine and expect you to keep it. My beardie (who is not as smart as a tegu) has learned to scratch at her door to be let out. Her viv has doors on the front, I open them and she jumps out, roams around till she has had enough and then gets back in by herself when she is cold to sit on her basking spot. If she doesn't get out when she scratches she gets very agitated. She is on a morning routine. Bath, free roam, breakfast, bask. If I try to feed her before she has had her morning bath or romp she will refuse to eat. I hope that when Toki is older to be able to have a similar routine. I think the smarter the animal the more interaction they crave. Toki already begs to be let out several times a day and once out she gets out often she isn't looking to roam but wants nothing more than to find a warm spot on me to snuggle and sleep.

Our boy definitely seeks out attention. Even when I know he just wants to come out and free roam, the doesn't just jump and pound on the wall, he makes eye contact and stretches out toward his human. When we take him out, he expects to cuddle up and dig on us first. But he does make personal recognition because he looks in our eyes, and not just the hand or foot that is touching him.